1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

Gas Strut Conversion

Discussion in 'Modified Alpine' started by Jimjordan2, May 22, 2017.

1. PROCRAFT

PROCRAFT Donation Time

Just for ducks You can use one gas spring works just a well also the gas spring that Bill has sourced is the correct one not one with metric fittings as Nick has noted and Bill if your clever you'll make the bushing out of a 1/2" hex head bolt

2. 260Alpine

260Alpine Silver Level Sponsor

Dan, Good to hear!

3. Bill Blue

Bill Blue Platinum Level Sponsor

Well, I got one loaded, but that is all. Maybe I'll figure out the correct process. Anyway, this bolt will serve as the body anchor. Just a 1/2-13 stainless steel bolt drilled and tapped for the 5/16-18 ball stud. The stainless proved to be tough to drill and tap, so unless I can find a "nicer" grade of stainless, the bolt in the kit will be #2, which is soft, leaded steel.

Attached Files:

4. DanR

DanR Diamond Level Sponsor

Clever idea, Mr Bill!

5. Alpine 1789

Alpine 1789 SAOCA President Diamond Level Sponsor

Count me in for a set! Please.

6. Ken Ellis

Ken Ellis Donation Time

Bill, looks like picture loading worked. Still troubles? PM me if you need to. Note that it does take a minute for the upload and re-size to happen. It's not always instant, and doesn't always show progress well on different browsers. Looking good!

7. Bill Blue

Ken, my problem is consistency. It seems that I can attach only one pic per post. This one is of the grody bolt I used. I'm pretty sure the second generation bolts will look better. Shaped more like the SS bolt.

Bill

Attached Files:

8. PROCRAFT

PROCRAFT Donation Time

bolts backwards

9. Ken Ellis

Ken Ellis Donation Time

Test multiple pic uploads...
    (multiple test pics now deleted)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  10. Bill Blue

So you do not drill/tap through the head?

Ken, while dragging the photo, where should the picture be located when it is released? If it is within the dotted rectangle, it loads as part of the text, which makes the message too large. If outside of the rectangle, the image usually jumps to full screen and I have to close Firefox to escape. When I reopen Firfox and return to the post, there is no image.

Bill

11. Ken Ellis

Ken Ellis Donation Time

12. sunbeamv6

sunbeamv6 Donation Time

Hi Bill, Are these trunk gas strut kits available? Please let me know. Thanks!

13. RootesRooter

RootesRooter Platinum Level Sponsor

14. Bill Blue

Been sold out for the past couple of years. Right now I am butt deep in getting the DuraPine #2 built, so it will be a while before I cant get any made.. If anybody wants to make a few kits, be my guest.

Bill

15. Series6

Series6 Past President Gold Level Sponsor

I have them on both cars and made a smaller version for the hood/bonnet of my blue car. Will hold the hood open, as long as the wind isn’t blowing.

FD2A67BA-6300-456B-A481-8A3AFB34DD46.jpeg 7E463F83-32EF-4C81-B5B1-79DF075DF128.jpeg I installed a prop rod on the driver side for two reasons. 1-prop hood on the opposite side I’m working on, 2- when I’m at a show or meet, and open the hood, both rods are propped so the hood doesn’t twist.

husky drvr likes this.