• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gas Strut Conversion

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Just wanted to share a photo of Nick's conversion of my Boot lid to Gas Shocks.
Wow, what a nice look, and works absolutely great. I highly recommend contacting Nick for this kit.:)

Attachments

• Nick Gas Strut conversion.jpg
    Nick Gas Strut conversion.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 216

kmathis

Donation Time
Ditto, Jim; easy installation process, Nick did one on my car as well, the trunk lid hasn't fallen down and cracked me in the back since.:D

Last edited:

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I've had a few inquiries about these lately. It's important to know member Procraft did these first and gave me the ok to do a few. I have a parts list and his original drawings. I can pass them on. Problem is one pair of parts need to be machined. If there's enough interest I can get 15-20 sets made but they ain't cheap. Machine shops around here figure $45-50 a set.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, I got a set of machined angles from Joel two or three years ago. Nick and I are working together to get a new supply.

Bill

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
I've had a few inquiries about these lately. It's important to know member Procraft did these first and gave me the ok to do a few. I have a parts list and his original drawings. I can pass them on. Problem is one pair of parts need to be machined. If there's enough interest I can get 15-20 sets made but they ain't cheap. Machine shops around here figure $45-50 a set.
I found an easier way for the bushings other than the machined pieces I sent you way back you can almost make them on a drill press!!!!! but its a good thing you making bucks on this.

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
Sign me up for a pair!
Yeah, Ive been to the ER for stitches in the back side of my melon when the boot shut itself and the striker got me!!!!

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I found an easier way for the bushings other than the machined pieces I sent you way back you can almost make them on a drill press!!!!! but its a good thing you making bucks on this.

Joel,

Please post that. The first group I had made at a local shop in Phoenix and they were much cheaper. Shops here in Washington not so much. The trunk brackets are easy but the inserts aren't. If it saves members money and they can do it locally, and get them faster, I'd prefer that.

I'll get the parts list together and have it added to the how to section.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Members, Had a phone meeting with Bill Blue today and he generously offered to make the inserts and offer them to the membership at a reasonable cost. As soon as I can figure out how to do it I'll post the pictures, drawings, instructions, and parts list from Carr McMasters in LA. The parts list will show the pressures on the struts you need as well as the extended and compressed measurements so members out of the US can contact local suppliers and source comparable parts. In the meantime, the attachments here should get you started.gas piston (2).jpg gas piston (3).jpg Gas Piston Trunk (2).jpg

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Ok. These are the instructions. No one has died or suffered catastrophic injury using them so I assume they are easy to follow. Here we go.

1-Open trunk

2-Remove trunk side panels

3-Have someone hold the trunk lid open or use a 2x4. Using a 2x4 will allow the trunk lid one last vengeful bop.

4-Remove the bolts from the trunk lid and slowly rotate the hinges toward the rear of the car. Remember the spring has some tension in it at this point. Don't get your fingers pinched.

5-Remove the spring.

6-Remove the nut from behind the hinge and carefully work it out of the body. Slowly. Take a toothbrush or wire brush and clean out the tube.

7-After applying a LIGHT coat of oil or lithium grease on it, install the aluminum dowel (The part Bill will supply or make it yourself if you can, using the measurements from Procraft's sheet above) with the large end facing the inside of the trunk and put a small drop of blue Locktite on the threads of the Allen head bolt. Install the washer and Allen head in from inside the fender.

8-Thread in one of the ball head bolts you got from McMaster-Carr to the big end of the dowel.

9-lnstall the trunk lid bracket using the beveled head allen bolts.. Remember to countersink the holes! See pictures. Don’t tighten them up just yet. Just snug so they will hold a location in step 12. (Once “centered” you can unscrew one at a time and put a little blue Locktite on each. I didn’t on mine, but you might want to.) (The flat sides of the brackets should be facing each other from across the trunk when you’re done.) Install a ball head bolt with the head facing outward, then secure with the lock nut from the inside

10-Make sure your assistant has a hold of the trunk lid…… Attach the gas piston, black cylinder end up, to the trunk lid bracket ball head. I smack it with my hand but you can use a rubber mallet. If you are using the 2x4 method, this is where you’ll get at least one additional vengeful bop.

11-Do the same on the other side.

12-Test fit.. Remember, you now have 60 pounds of force trying to open or close your trunk now. Hang on to the chrome trunk lift and keep your fingers clear of the sealing surfaces for this part.. Don’t ask how I know…… Slowly lower the trunk lid until it touches the body. Should be smooth and non binding. Open slowly and tighten the bevel heads holding the trunk lid bracket. Do this a few times to confirm smooth action.

Assuming all’s well, put your panels back in, pop a can of your favorite and invite your friends. People tend to like to play with it…

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
These should help. If you like them, thank Procraft for doing all the measuring and calculating. Joel did this years ago and was kind enough to share it. One last thing. You might consider drilling another hole further up the trunk bracket. This will not push the trunk lid open so far. Initially, mine pushed the lid up to the limit of the hinge. It does on some cars but not on all. Leave yourself room to adjust. Once you get things in place and working smoothly, you can remove the trunk bracket and shape them into a teardrop or other look, then polish them.

Attachments

• Gas mounts (2).JPG
    Gas mounts (2).JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 102
  • Gas mounts (4).JPG
    Gas mounts (4).JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Gas mounts (6).JPG
    Gas mounts (6).JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 99

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
One more one last thing. Bill may be using different threading on his part. Bill, jump in here and advise the thread pitch you'll be using for your part so they can order the correct ball hardware. You'll need some washers and lock nuts to secure Bill's inserts in the body.

In case you can't read the attachment:
2-9416k162 Gas spring with threaded ends, 30 Force, 13.74" extended length 5.47 stroke
4-9416k74 10 mm ball socket for M6 thread, gas spring with threaded ends
4-9512K73 Ball mounting Hardware, 10mm zinc pltd stl ball stud w/5/16" male thread. (this may change depending on how Bill does his)

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-26_17-4-45.jpg
    upload_2018-3-26_17-4-45.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 68

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The kit will use a different gas spring, McMaster-Carr #4138T55, 30 lb. They have permanently attached ball studs with 5/16"-18 threads. They have an extended length of 15.24", which increases lid lift. Cost is $17.51 each.

The kit has a slightly different design and is more complete. If the kit buyer purchases these gas springs, no other parts need to be purchased. The original 1/4" mounting bolts can be utilized with no clearance issues.

I notice that Nick counter sunk the mounting holes to accept a flat or oval head screws. The standard configuration of mine will not be countersunk in order to reuse the stock hex head bolt. If you want them countersunk, please state so on the order. There will be no charge for countersinking them.

The kit will cost $25, including shipping in the USA.

Nick, I am unable to post photos (software issues on my end), could you post the photos I sent to you?

Bill

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I can but eventually we need to get this whole string in the how to section, Greggers can you help with that?

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Test pic post.
IMG_5861.jpg

Hey, Bill...
You should be able to put the pic on your desktop (or somewhere easy to reach) and just drag it into the post where you type your response. It will automatically upload it, re-size if necessary, and then allow you to decide whether you show the full pic or a thumbnail (above) the user can expand.

Let me know if this doesn't work for you, and I can talk you thru it (by phone if you want) this afternoon... Or whenever your schedule permits.

I'll clear this post out when we're finished.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mr Bill, If and when you are able I would like one of the Kits...

Missed you and Barb at the Carolina Classic, but understand the snow and salt situation.

My EPS worked fabulously in Blue Boy:) Many thanks for your engineering ideas!

Enjoyed the new cam too, very nice with good idle @ 850 - 900 RPM. GREAT response thru all gears. (Thanks to JimNichols for your help with figuring the best route).