• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gas Strut Conversion Kits

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nineteen kits are made and ready to be shipped. Each kit contains all the parts needed to mount your trunk struts if you reuse your old 1/4"- 28 mounting bolts. They are $25 including shipping to USA. Additional kits are $18 each. Cash, check or PayPal

I still have brake light switch kits that I will include with the strut kit for an additional $15.

Cash, check or PayPal. If cash or check, shipment will be made when payment is mailed, not when the funds are received.

Contact me:
Bill Blue
2703 South State Road 1
Connersville, IN 47331

weblue at comcast.net

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I want one too!

Been wondering why you have been so quiet? Figure Barb had you busy, but now I know it was those kits:)

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'd like a set of struts. These are good on all series? Did you post a pic anywhere? What email for PayPal?

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
MikeH wrote: "I'd like a set of struts..."

Nineteen kits are made and ready to be shipped. Each kit contains all the parts needed to mount your trunk struts if you reuse your old 1/4"- 28 mounting bolts. They are $25 including shipping to USA. Additional kits are $18 each. Cash, check or PayPal... (snipped the balance of post)

Bold and underline added by me.

From previous threads, it looks like this price is for Bill's "plug-and-play" mounting bits -- the actual struts would be sourced elsewhere. This post: http://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/gas-strut-conversion.25642/#post-181783 (and following the part number trail) shows the struts from McMaster-Carr are around $18 each, plus shipping.

Bill's a nice guy and all, but I don't think he's going to buy struts for us and give 'em away. :)
Or maybe he's a really nice guy...

Bill, could you please post a pic of what's included?

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for the clarification Ken. I guess I need to read a bit more carefully.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The photo Gods have proven to be friendly today (so far).
The kit has only four pieces. Two aluminum brackets drilled to fit the holes in the trunk lid and the air spring. Two 1/2" bolts, drilled to accept the ball studs of the strut and fit into the pivot anchors.

Attachments

• strut bracts.JPG
    strut bracts.JPG
    398.9 KB · Views: 61

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here are photos of the kit installed with the recommended McMaster-Carr #4138T55, 30 lb. gas spring.
IMG_4701.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4702.JPG
    IMG_4702.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
So, I'm interested in this, but I have a luggage rack on the boot. Do the spec'd gas cylinders spring up 'with authority' or are they just barely enough to do the deed? Not looking to lift with rack loaded, but I'd like it to work well with the rack installed and not installed. Thoughts?

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
If you're using the dual 30 pound springs shouldn't be a lifting problem. I've always had to hold mine all the way to to top. And hold it a the way down or it will slam.

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
The McMaster-Carr struts are the way to go!
I ordered yesterday and they arrived today!
With shipping total for two was $42!!!

BD

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
If you find the gas springs push the trunk lid too far you can drill another set of holes to change the angle. On the original drawing Procraft sent me he mentioned this. I'm glad this is now an affordable mod for our cars. Remember Joel did it first and shared it.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I must have not seen the "Select" button for the lbs pressure!!!

Here is a reply I received shortly after I attempted to place my order:

Hi Dan,
We've canceled your order for the gas spring because you did not select the force (in lbs). Please resubmit your order on McMaster.com.
Madison

I used the Part Number #4138T55, 30 lb suggested for the Struts. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
There's a drop-down box of available force values to the left of 'quantity' and 'add'. If you have 'pop-ups' blocked that may prevent it from showing, but there are also 'links' in the line item with each force value. At least they said please!

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
When the part number is selected, a small box opens up and you then need to click on the correct pressure you want (30)