• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gas smell

Britboy

Donation Time
Having just acquired this little gem a few weeks ago, I'm having great fun learning about its character and its quirks
When, after being closed for a day or two I open the trunk lid, the smell of gasoline is very noticeable. I apparently have a "leak" somewhere back here. Any thoughts as to where I should expect trouble to be located? Or do all SVs have this trait?
As always, any advice is much appreciated.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Check the condition of the steel crossover tube for signs of rusting and examine the 2 short rubber hoses that connect the tube to the tanks.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The crossover tubes and tanks are a good start. Also check the vapor crossover hose that connects the tanks at the top. Also the filler neck and the fuel gauge bung on the top of the right hand side tank.

Having said all of that, my car suffers from the same problem. I have no idea where my fuel leak is. The same for the exhaust smell, which at times is pretty strong. Both have been greatly reduced, but I cannot find the cure. But it seems not all cars have the problem.

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
The crossover tubes and tanks are a good start. Also check the vapor crossover hose that connects the tanks at the top. Also the filler neck and the fuel gauge bung on the top of the right hand side tank.

Having said all of that, my car suffers from the same problem. I have no idea where my fuel leak is. The same for the exhaust smell, which at times is pretty strong. Both have been greatly reduced, but I cannot find the cure. But it seems not all cars have the problem.

Bill

Bill exhaust smell is likely coming back via the boot (trunk) make sure the boot panel is snug down on the boot seal all the way around, make sure all the gromets in the boot floor are present and sealed.

65beam

Donation Time
smell

many cars no longer have the metal tube running thru the body to vent the tanks. they may have a rubber hose in place now. if this is the case it should have a clamp on each end. the most common odor leak is around the tank sending unit. there is a rubber gasket between the tank and sending unit and if the tanks have been cleaned it may not have been replaced. you might also find that the sending unit has not been turned all the way to the stop. the tank has a beveled edge to put pressure on the unit to seal to the tank. there may also be a crack in the neck connecting the right tank to the cap.

bill,
try a longer tail pipe that sticks out past the bumper. this was a problem with some aftermarket pipes many years ago. the fumes stayed under the car.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I had exhaust smell coming in so much, when the top was up and the windows down, that it actually coated the inside of the trunk lid covered in soot. I extended the exhaust tip an inch past the bumper and put a turn downtip on it. End of problem.

I(f you have it short of the bumper, the bumper will act as a scoop, and the vacuum caused inside the cabin when the air rushes past the open windows, will suck in he exhaust gases..

Bill exhaust smell is likely coming back via the boot (trunk) make sure the boot panel is snug down on the boot seal all the way around, make sure all the gromets in the boot floor are present and sealed.