• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

gas float bangs against tank

mbruskin

Donation Time
I have SV and when the tank is full until about half full the float bangs against the tank, especially when turning. Is it simply a matter of bending the arm of the float more towards the middle of the tank? Not a major problem but annoying.

Murray

agmason54

Donation Time
gas float bang against tank

Murray,
I think the sending unit needs turned.It has a notch that I believe locates the proper position.If not I would suspect it may be the arm is out or wack.Unbolt the trunk hinge arm from the trunk to get the spring out of the way to get at it.Removing the tank is unnecessary.All you need is a 7/16 wrench,screw driver and your "bone hammer"(hand).
AGM

agmason54

Donation Time
Hey Murray,
I assume you know the arms on the trunk are under tension so wrench with one hand and hold the arm with your other hand.Easing the arm down will let the spring fall out of the 'hook' holding it in place or just let your brother-in -law do it...
Is it bent or out of kilter?
Al

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Removing the sender is easy. I'd been dreading fixing mine because I thought the tank had to be removed. Al, told me it didn't, and he was quite correct.

I didn't remove or even loosen the spring hook, I just used a big heavy screw driver to pry the spring off the hook. Used the same screwdriver to lever the spring back on. Once removing the spring, you must also remove the balance tube to get access to the sender top. After that, just use a flat blade screwdriver and heal of the hand to tap the senders top retaining ring. Disconnect the battery, before removing it! You don't need a spark, from the sender wire, anywhere near that tank.
good luck
Ron