• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Future BaT, Sebring Alpine

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Seen in the Grapevine....

( I don't have a FB account...)

Steve Alcala has signed up to sell the Sebring Alpine on BaT.

Start saving your Lunch Money.

DW

1683214064682.png

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Started

DW
I thought the auction description was very poorly written. I think Steve should have been more involved in the way the car and it's history was described

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I didnt understand the verbiage in the listing. Lines like "it is said to have been" seem to cast doubt on the authenticity of this car. I dont think there is any doubt about this cars provenance, but that isn't how the description is written.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
The BAT descriptions are written by them so as to place any potential issues with cars they list for sale far away from their liability from any buyers-if they have liability at all.... This being said, this Alpine is an incredible car. I was very happy to see it up close and even sit in it at the last SUNI.
It looks much better than when I had the chance to buy it in 2002 for $900! But that is another story.

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
The BAT descriptions are written by them so as to place any potential issues with cars they list for sale far away from their liability from any buyers-if they have liability at all.... This being said, this Alpine is an incredible car. I was very happy to see it up close and even sit in it at the last SUNI.
It looks much better than when I had the chance to buy it in 2002 for $900! But that is another story.
And will you share that story! Inquiring minds...

alpine_64

Donation Time
Eric I figured the rather non committal description was to do with potential issues of an air car .. like the ex-Bob Avery Harrington....but Steve's car is well documented and the lineage not in question.

As for you worrying about goofy RHD parts cars with dual electrical systems and some DPO who had cut trans tunnels away as lazy access... We live and learn ... But it's probably best it went to Steve as he did a great job on the resurrection of this important bit of rootes racing history

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm sure Alcala can give you chapter and verse of the details of buying the car and how the asking price

went up about 4X (as I recall ?) when the seller got wind of the history of the car...

BTW, just in case you are wondering, Steve is finishing up Major Restorations of 2 Tigers as well,

So he will not be without a Sunbeam.

DW

IMG_20220512_133352970_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
I'm sure Alcala can give you chapter and verse of the details of buying the car and how the asking price

went up about 4X (as I recall ?) when the seller got wind of the history of the car...

BTW, just in case you are wondering, Steve is finishing up Major Restorations of 2 Tigers as well,

So he will not be without a Sunbeam.

DW

View attachment 28944
Dan wasn't the one with the Silverstone wheels on the road last year already?

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes, both of Alcala's Tigers have been on the road,

Steve Won the Lord Rootes Trophy at TU last year

with the '66.

But, even then, the car was not 100% done, at least to Steve's standards.

And that picture is older, but with both cars in the same picture.

DW

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
As It turns out, at the time of the auction closing, there was a Major problem with the BaT site.

Bidders could not bid.

It's unclear what will happen next.

DW

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
To bring this thread to a close,

The Sebring Alpine has been sold.

Steve is not discussing the sale price

or BaT reserve price.

The way I see it, there are 3 Major losers!

1) BaT

2) The Sunbeam community about the value of the car.

3) Other potential (BaT) buyers for the car.

To give you a little bit of history, Steve Alcala put

A lot of time, ambition and money into Another car

and ended up Not seeing the true value of it at the time it was sold.

...only to see it sell for more than 4 + Times the price He sold it for,

a few years later.

It appears Steve was determined Not to let that happen again with the Alpine.

Here is a link to the car Steve sold, The Tommy Lee Speedster

A car with a VERY Colorful history:

This link has more old pictures showing the 4 into 4 side pipes

that Steve replicated but are not shown in later subsequent owner pictures.

DW

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
To bring this thread to a close,

The Sebring Alpine has been sold.

Steve is not discussing the sale price

or BaT reserve price.

The way I see it, there are 3 Major losers!

1) BaT

2) The Sunbeam community about the value of the car.

3) Other potential (BaT) buyers for the car.

To give you a little bit of history, Steve Alcala put

A lot of time, ambition and money into Another car

and ended up Not seeing the true value of it at the time it was sold.

...only to see it sell for more than 4 + Times the price He sold it for,

a few years later.

It appears Steve was determined Not to let that happen again with the Alpine.

Here is a link to the car Steve sold, The Tommy Lee Speedster

A car with a VERY Colorful history:

This link has more old pictures showing the 4 into 4 side pipes

that Steve replicated but are not shown in later subsequent owner pictures.

DW

Stuff like that, I operate with the idea of what it's worth to me. If I get that amount, I'm happy. If the buyer flips it for 4x that, I'm happy for them because there's no telling if I, with my skills and abilities and connections, would be able to get even twice what I got.

I've heard Steve's work is top notch and I'd like for him to get the most he can get. But that's not always the most one will ever get for it. You got to draw a line, set a bar and be happy if you get that.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Well, I was waiting to see if Steve would post anything here (someware on the Forum) about the ordeal.

Seeing He didn't, I decided to throw my $.02 in, seeing I started the thread.

Steve is not talking about the buyer, so I know nothing about them.

DW

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
I hope it stays in the Sunbeam family and we get to see it once in awhile!