• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Full fender covers

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Steve A. has this style of full fender cover for working on his car. I have a copy but have dropped it with my retired upholstery guy who first did a convertible top in the 70's.
Not sure I care for the moving blanket material. I'll be drifting in to fabric store for a more suitable material. I'd appreciate your suggestions.

I will have as many made as my guy will do as he could use the low impact cut and stich work. I was thinking I could also make some paper patterns if needed.

There's some tweaks like liquid proof vinyl around the brake/clutch master and a flap for the heater core.

Attachments

• PXL_20230128_175212774.jpg
    PXL_20230128_175212774.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Been using one of Steve Alcala's few production for decades...

I forget they are not readily available.

This is WAY past due in the Sunbeam Market.

DW

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Steve was selling them for 90 . But that was moving blanket material. In the planning stages now. Cary did my seat refit and other tid bits. He did high end stuff at a local shop for years.

The more I think about it I'm thinking something removable and washable is the first layer and then something like a felt vinyl. I was trying to look at all of his remnants he has because that could save some cost if you didn't care what color the vinyl was.

In closing I would love to hear people's two cents on what they would do. I was thinking building in some high strength magnets so it wouldn't be slipping and sliding everywhere plus some straps and it would go inside the door and you could close the door on them so it wouldn't be moving around. I think that's a pet peeve for everybody fender covers that are slipping and sliding off when least expected.

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
Looks like a great idea to me, I would not be so worried about cleaning it vs. it being flame retardant - but then I am not an expert on this at all. If you have a messy project you could always throw plastic sheeting or old towels ontop to protec Would love to have one myself and currently I cover the fenders and cowel area with that rubber kitchen shelf liner stuff (comes in rolls), then thow old large towels ontop of that which has been my goto for years (definately not as fancy as this one) .

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
As I recall my vintage fender covers have foam on the fender side.

Attachments

• Fender covers.jpg
    Fender covers.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 16

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The problem with anything soft (including foam) is that "gritty stuff" eventually becomes embedded and what was originally soft becomes sandpaper. The only solution I have found is towels that get machine washed between uses. My wife does not approve this message.

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks Barry and others.
Please keep comments coming.
I have had the large ones that are used as wall hangings previously mentioned. I couldn't get them to stay put. The towel method is good.

The few good auto upholstery shops have closed their doors killed by the WWW. So it's off to crafting stores to look.