• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fuel vapor lock?

napa 1

Donation Time
Hi all. Have been away from my Harrington ( and the forum) for a while working on other projects. Hoping to get a little assistance with starting her up after a long sit as a garage queen. (year). Cranking and cranking and she's not getting any fuel. Starts easily with starting fluid, so assume that there is maybe vapor lock or ? Is there an easy way to advance/force/draw/suck fuel through the mechanical pump? Should the bowl be full? Unfortunately the manual prime handle is broken. Fresh gas of course. Thanks.

65beam

Donation Time
lock

john,
your problem is the gas in the tank. drain the tank and add new gas and she'll start. we had the same problem with two of the cars this spring. I used one of the cheap pumps for K1 to pull the gas out. you won't get everything out but adding a few gallons of new gas to what is left will make a difference.

alpine_64

Donation Time
John,

It's likely all the easily combustible elements of the fuelhave evaporated and what's left is not easy to ignite. If storing the car for a long period add stabil fuel additive ( I don't normally recommend that sort of thing.. But I do believe this works) and run the car for a little bit to get it through the lines and into the carbs, then top the tank up to the brim. The fuller the tank the slower the fuel separates as there is less air in there.

If you don't feel like draining the tank you could try adding some stabil and rock the car a bit to mix it in and see if it helps start it.. Will run rough for a bit with the old fuel.

napa 1

Donation Time
Sorry, I should have been more detailed. All fresh gas in the tank, and there is no fuel of any sort getting to the carbs. The problem is not in getting it to run when starting it, its that there is no fuel arriving at the carbs. I can look into the carb throat and actuate the accelerator linkage and there is no fuel entering the carb at all, dry as a bone. The fuel pump is new as of a few years ago, so I think it should still be working, so I'm thinking somewhere in the fuel system there is a vapor lock or ? Thanks.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Check to see if fuel can get to the fuel pump. If all is well in the fuel line, the problem has to be the fuel pump. Vapor lock should never occur when the engine is cold.

Bill

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
It has been quite a while ...
The gass bowl should show fuel up to approx. brass mesh filter level. If not either the line or the tank outlet is blocked. Bad that the priming lever is broken. If still there you could force some pumping ...

napa 1

Donation Time
Thanks guys. I think I'll just take it from the gas tank forward. I have a filter installed at the tank, but even though it's a "new" tank...who knows, could be a blockage there just from sitting. I'm in a Harrington mood, so I want to get her out on the road a bit. I've become a little overwhelmed with a "fleet" of various makes and models restoration projects, and feel like I've been neglecting the jewel of the collection.