• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

front rotor pads

911tr8r

Gold Level Sponsor
My newly acquired S5 hates to stop. What jumps out at me is that there is not a speck of brake dust on my wheels. Does anyone have a good source for some soft brake pads?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a good suggestion for you to be able to stop much better, safer and surer.

Get the Rear Disc Brake Kit I offer for the Sunbeam Alpine and Tiger.

Click on the link below in my signature element

DanR

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Start with the basics, is the brake fluid new and bled, hoses, calipers and M/C in good shape. I have to clean my wheels every week or 120 miles. Rear disc will help once the front are working right.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I have a good suggestion for you to be able to stop much better, safer and surer.

Get the Rear Disc Brake Kit I offer for the Sunbeam Alpine and Tiger.

Click on the link below in my signature element

DanR
Dan, your kit is great from all accounts.. but sounds like he has some basic issues to deal with ...car sounds like it's not up to stock.. I'm thinking air in the system or something preventing full force of the calliper

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan, your kit is great from all accounts.. but sounds like he has some basic issues to deal with ...car sounds like it's not up to stock.. I'm thinking air in the system or something preventing full force of the calliper
Michael, I don't disagree with you or your thinking.....such asa something preventing full force of the calipers..... pull them and send to Sunalp for rebuild.

911tr8r

Gold Level Sponsor
All above has been done. Stainless hoses, brand new MC, pedal is rock hard and rear drums are adjusted one click from moving. So I suspect the pads.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
No mention of a servo. A stock Series V master cylinder with the servo removed is not going to stop like a modern car.

Shannon Boal

Donation Time
I suggest a simple test. On a dirt surface, drive at walking speed and jam on the brakes. Once stopped, get out and look at the skid patches. Did all four lock? For a good parts source, give Rick at Sunbeam Specialties a call, it is noon in California

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
No mention of a servo. A stock Series V master cylinder with the servo removed is not going to stop like a modern car.

What Todd said.

Passenger car hydraulic brake systems generally need something like 600 PSI at the brakes for a hard stop.

Producing a brake system hydraulic pressure of 600 PSI in a modern passenger vehicle with power brakes typically requires applying a force of about 30 pounds to the brake pedal. The federal standard allows a maximum pedal force of 75 pounds, but the OEM's recognize that (a) there are a lot of women drivers and that (b) a lot of women drivers are not comfortable with a pedal force greater than 35-40 pounds.

Producing a brake system hydraulic pressure of 600 PSI in a S-V Alpine with a factory 7/8" diameter brake master cylinder, with the factory original brake pedal setup (~ 4.25:1 mechanical ratio) and with a 2.0:1 ratio remote hydraulic booster requires a pedal force of about 43 pounds. Without a remote hydraulic booster, the required pedal force doubles to about 86 lbs.

If you are used to a brake pedal force of 30 pounds, a brake pedal force of 40+ pounds will seem "stiff" and a brake pedal force of 80+ pounds will seem "rock hard."

Last edited:

911tr8r

Gold Level Sponsor
I suggest a simple test. On a dirt surface, drive at walking speed and jam on the brakes. Once stopped, get out and look at the skid patches. Did all four lock? For a good parts source, give Rick at Sunbeam Specialties a call, it is noon in California
Great idea. My. driveway is 500ft gravel. I think I will test right now.
And yes servo is disconnected. My 64 ford falcon sprint did not have power brakes and it could really stop. Of course while drums can fade they usually have a large friction surface. THANKS FOR THE TIP

911tr8r

Gold Level Sponsor
What Todd said.

Passenger car hydraulic brake systems generally need something like 600 PSI at the brakes for a hard stop.

Producing a brake system hydraulic pressure of 600 PSI in a modern passenger vehicle with power brakes typically requires applying a force of about 30 pounds to the brake pedal. The federal standard allows a maximum pedal force of 75 pounds, but the OEM's recognize that (a) there are a lot of women drivers and that (b) a lot of women drivers are not comfortable with a pedal force greater than 35-40 pounds.

Producing a brake system hydraulic pressure of 600 PSI in a S-V Alpine with a factory 7/8" diameter brake master cylinder, with the factory original brake pedal setup (~ 4.25:1 mechanical ratio) and with a 2.0:1 ratio remote hydraulic booster requires a pedal force of about 43 pounds. Without a remote hydraulic booster, the required pedal force doubles to about 86 lbs.

If you are used to a brake pedal force of 30 pounds, a brake pedal force of 40+ pounds will seem "stiff" and a brake pedal force of 80+ pounds will seem "rock hard."
GREAT INFO!! That certainly accounts for why I about go thru the windshield of my C6 Vette after driving the S5

911tr8r

Gold Level Sponsor
What Todd said.

Good point about feeling rock hard. No matter the amount of force applied tho the pedal doe not give more than a few mm,

911tr8r

Gold Level Sponsor
What Todd said.

Great idea. My. driveway is 500ft gravel. I think I will test right now.
And yes servo is disconnected. My 64 ford falcon sprint did not have power brakes and it could really stop. Of course while drums can fade they usually have a large friction surface. THANKS FOR THE TIP
Good point about feeling rock hard. No matter the amount of force applied tho the pedal doe not give more than a few mm,

alpine_64

Donation Time
If the servo was removed and they left the stock MC the pedal load will be much higher. The usual process when removing the servo is to switch the the larger early style Brake MC that was designed for non servo assistance to make the pedal psi more tolerable