• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Front bumper question

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi guys,

This is my first post in a long time. A while back I bought what was supposed to be a front bumper for my SIV from eBay, but it looks pretty much exactly like my rear bumper. It has the brackets on it, but I haven't matched them up with the rear yet to see if there's any differences with them. My question is, how can I tell the difference between a front and rear bumper? Or is there no differences between them, but rather with just the brackets?

Thanks!

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Well, that's a relief. My project is coming along slowly but surely. What has held me back for almost 6 years is that I didn't want to start the project until I had every piece I needed. Finally close enough to where I'm putting the car back together before paint to make sure I know where things go before risking scratching something. That was my main concern, because the car was stripped and just a rolling chassis when I bought it with all the parts in various boxes. I may have a bit more modifications to make with the drivetrain since I located a Tiger toploader, driveline, and Dana 44 rear axle from a postal jeep and the car currently has a T5 (from an '83 SVO Mustang just used as a mock up from previous owner) and the stock rear axle. So I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to move my motor a few inches either forward or backwards to get things sitting where they would in a Tiger. I've been putting house projects and family matters first, but I'm finally ready to kick this project into high gear so I can finally start enjoying it. I'll be posting quite a few more questions as I come across more poorly/ un-labled parts that I've never seen before, haha. I also took some saved up Sunbeam money and got myself a new daily commuter just in time to change careers and get a job only 2 miles from my home VS my 112 mile round trip I did for 5 days a week for 8 years.
20180801_090357.jpg 00101_kqaecizdG9N_1200x900.jpg 20180831_152505.jpg

Last edited:

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Mark! I didn't even see those on eBay and I was on earlier yesterday morning. The back bumper came already bolted onto the car luckily. I will pay attention when it comes time for me to remove the bumper for paint.

The front bumper brackets are larger than the rear and can be seen in this pic:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunbeam-Al...614387?hash=item41f7950b73:g:vIEAAOSwzgtcLpq9

The front bumper bolts directly to the frame horns whereas the rear require a ever-so-important spacer between the bracket and frame. If you don't use the spacer you will crush the surrounding skin.

Mark