• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Front brakes

Charles Johns

Donation Time
It looks like I will need new/rebuilt front calipers. Where is the best place? I am using the OEM brakes and my fronts definitely need a redo or new ones. Parts or new I don't care, I am an ASE mechanic and been down this road before. It is a SV 1967 model. THANKS.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
New Calipers are not available as far as I know.

I usually order replacement items from SS or Classic Sunbeam.

New stainless steel pistons are best option in my opinion.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
The earlier calipers had 3.5" mounting pattern. Series 4 and 5 had 3.25" like the Capri which are also not available. I wonder if there is enough meat in the mounting ears to slot the holes to 3.25". They are also more common as Triumph and MGC used them and still available.

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
110_1234 (1).JPG 110_1235 (1).JPG I have the Capri calipers with the 3.25 bolt pattern in stock if anybody wants a set. Rebuilt by CarDone.

Last edited:

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Why not just rebuild the originals? There’s really not any rocket science to it, and once it’s done properly with stainless pucks it will last until the next ice age... mine are pushing 30 years now.

.... Rebuilt by CarDone.

Oh, and BTW, it’s “Cardone” - pronounced “car-doan” - the Italian last name of the guy who founded the business. I went to high school with Nicky Cardone, the son of the owner.

65beam

Donation Time
Why not just rebuild the originals? There’s really not any rocket science to it, and once it’s done properly with stainless pucks it will last until the next ice age... mine are pushing 30 years now.

Oh, and BTW, it’s “Cardone” - pronounced “car-doan” - the Italian last name of the guy who founded the business. I went to high school with Nicky Cardone, the son of the owner.
I agree on rebuilding the originals using stainless pistons which is what I've done to all of my cars. The boxes for these calipers read what appears to be AICARDONE so that must reflect the owner's name. These calipers came from Rock Auto.

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have a set of the Pinto Mustang 2 ones on a Hokansen front end. I also have a set of the Granada style ones with new rotors in 5 lug that are surplus and need to go.
I believe the only thing prohibitive about the stainless steel ones is it's an awful lot of money for a set of them like 90 bucks as I recall plus tax and shipping. Lots of guys do complain about the stopping power except those who use the Hawk pads.