• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Friends In Sunbeams Itenerary and Update

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
CANCELED

While this is not an Invasion, I'm posting here in order to "spread the word".

This is essentially a driving event and will be held in Greensburg, Indiana.

Event calendar of events:

Monday, June 19, arrive at the Quality Inn. Supper at your choice of downtown restaurants. Very good food at "everyday low price".

Tuesday, June 20, early lunch at Stories restaurant, followed by a back road drive to Madison, an old river town that is very much alive. Visit a saddle tree factory museum. Supper at the Key West Shrimp House.

Wednesday, June 21, back road journey to Connersville. Eat lunch at Kunkels, a genyouwine '50's drive-in that has been in operation since 1954 (second owner). Visit the Connersville Museum, which contains several one of a kind automotive gems. Stop at Metamora, a historical 1840's canal town featuring the canal, a 50 hp water wheel and a covered bridge aquaduct. Stop at a very picturesque canal feeder dam. Supper in downtown Greensburg.

Thursday, June 22, boring (relatively) drive to Columbus, with its renowned architecture. Visit the Cummins Engine company museum, featuring their famed Indy Diesel racer. Lunch at the Columbus Bar (claimed to have the best tenderloin in Indiana), dessert at a 100 year-old soda bar with home made ice cream. Return route to Milhousen over very Alpine friendly roads that feature two (2) covered bridges. Supper will be at Stones Family Restaurant.

Friday, June 23, Farewells.

Come and enjoy great food, relaxed driving over hilly, narrow, crooked roads and investigate interesting stuff you cannot find anyplace else. By the way, the term "back roads" includes roads (paved) that you will not believe.

Our motel is the Greensburg Quality Inn & Suites $60/night plus tax. As the manager put it "It isn't the Marriot, then again, its not the Marriot price". A block of rooms is being held under the name "Sunbeam".

Phone # (812) 663-9998

Registration is free, but send me an email. weblue(at)comcast.net

Bill

TRUTH IN ADVERTISING
This event was designed to accommodate a maximum of 12 cars. At this time, there are only two cars enrolled. In order to minimize participant disappointment due to low turnout, one week prior to the event, we will notify everyone of the number of participants and everyone should feel free to cancel. While we are willing to continue with only one other car, it is possible the event will disappear due to "popular demand". Or lack there of.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Friends in Sunbeams

Bill, Greggers was able to get the lijnk from the LOGO to your POST..

Give it a try,

DanR

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill, How much interest so far?

I talked with Allan B and after the trip back from Yellowstone He is tired out but wants to make the trip up your way.

Eric is coming too.

DanR

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Just imagine you in your Sunbeam driving along....

These nice curving, crooked roads with cornfields and all sorts of other peaceful sights.....

Here is some comments Ken Ellis posted on another link I wish to share:

The lure of Indiana is strong, but I currently have work commitments that week...
My son and I went to the first Indiana Invasion, and the driving there was fantastic. Zipping through corn fields on great roads with no one else around, with each mile or so punctuated by a nice quick banked s-curve where (evidently) the surveyors decided things shouldn't quite match. Bad for commuters, great for Sunbeamers. (There's a reason Bill's car is "quickest from 20 to 80", as he can probably drive all day out there without shifting gears...)

Anyone passing thru Columbus on the way there, let me know...Ken

Tempting Ain't it?

Try it you may like it;)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
We are still working out details. Yesterday, we were on a road that we decided was simply too dangerous. Narrow (very), crooked, hilly, rough. All that is okay. But the lack of shoulder made us reject it. The shoulder is not only non existent, that fact is camouflaged by vegetation and if you happened to be forced off the pavement you'd likely end up in the river. We do have our standards!

On the plus side, we now have the world's largest cookie jar collection and another covered bridge on Wednesday's itinerary.

Checked with the motel, there are still seven slots available. Come join the fun.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
It's only a short back roads 30 miles from Greensburg to Columbus, IN

And about 60 miles to Norwood, OH

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you have not received confirmation....

of your intent to attend, please give me a call. Received a phone call from Bob Sharkey, wondering why we had not acknowledged his intent to attend. The simple answer is, we never received the email. This is the third email in the past few months that has not been received.

So if you have not received an acknowledgement, please give me a call.

Bill (765) 309-3567

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Attendance Update

We now are aware of three cars joining us in Greensburg.

They are:
The Gibeauts
The Sharkeys
Gord Foss and Bob Turner

The motel has a reservation from a Michele Courteau (sp), of which we know nothing. Anybody recognize the name? Michele, could you contact me? Maybe a motel error?

Bill

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I care! But maybe like a lot of others I can't make the trip for other obligations.

Man I sure would like to be able to get up your way! In my Commodore Blue V6 of course.

I appreciate you and Barb very much for offering yourselves to the Sunbeam world.

Love Ya!

DanR

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I care

Dan, I know you care, as do a dozen or so others. The problem is that only a dozen or so DO care. The vast majority here do not seem to care. I do not know why. Maybe we should start a "Do You Care" thread. It might be enlightening.

Bill

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Hey, I care too. I just can't get away during most work weeks to go play. I was already committed to a Friday/weekend event that week with my son, so no more play time that week, sadly.

If you're looking for some seat time, head over to Mid-Ohio the weekend of the 24th for some vintage racing.

65beam

Donation Time
friends

If you're looking for some seat time, head over to Mid-Ohio the weekend of the 24th for some vintage racing.

There will be Sunbeam owners showing their cars at Mid Ohio on both Saturday and Sunday. The Saturday event is the British Car Showdown. Sunday is the concourse. The sign for the Sunbeam area will probably show TE/AE.

Alpine.67

Platinum Level Sponsor
mid-ohio vintage races

you can also see a Sunbeam Alpine race at the SVRA Race weekend.

I will be racing Fri, Sat and Sun. in my yellow Alpine Number 53 car. stop by in the open pits and talk or help out keeping me on the track. no beer in pits but I do have Food.

M & B Racing
Vintage sports cars

Brad Babb

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
There is often a Tiger out of Cincy in attendance. He drives it in, changes the tires, and goes racing. Old school. If everybody plays nice, he drives it back home...