• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ford 2.8L

JoshT

Donation Time
Apparently been a member a long time and didn't realize it. Back around the time I joined I had a Ranger with the Ford 2.8L, so I guess I was looking for information on them.

Ranger is totaled, but I still have the engine and want to do something with it. Probably not an Alpine, but likely a similar size/weight LBC. Want to make a few changes on the engine before I return it to service. Given the popularity of these engines in Alpines I was hoping I could pick your collective brains.

My 2.8 is from an 84 Ranger. It has less than 5000 on a rebuild, so I'd rather not touch the bottom end. The engine already has a Offenhauser intake and Holley carb. The heads were mildly ported back in the 80s by my dad (previous owner), no Jim Ellis porting job, but better than stock. Comp 38-240-4 "low-mid rpm" cam kit with new timing set was installed during the rebuild. Long tube headers too, but that won't be transferable to it's new home.

First question is cam recommendations. The Comp 240 cam was a good selection for the truck, but probably not the best for a LBC. I get the feeling the the Comp 241 cam isn't much better than the current 240. I've seen recommendations, from the Steve Pruitt book IIRC, that people end up not liking because they are race cams, I don't want to go there either. Mentions of custom cam grinds and dual pattern cams that sound nice, but no company names to go with them. I know Racer Walsh also offers a couple o cams, but got no real information on them. Any recommendations or suggestions?

Second, the heads. At this time I don't have plans to do any more work to them, but that could change. I know Jim Ellis passed a year or two ago. Is there anyone else doing the porting work on these? Would they install the 2.9 valves too? If so what would this kind of work cost?

Third, valvetrain. Pruitt's book recommends free-floating the rockers. I understand the benefits. I semi did this on a 4.0L way back, installed spacers to replace broken springs, but didn't open up the rocker bores. Anyone doing still doing this mod? Worth the time and effort? Anyone making the shaft spacers still?

Fourth, flywheel. Anyone making a lightweight flywheel for these? I'm going to have to get one anyway, might as well get a lightweight one if it's available. Otherwise I'm probably going with a 4.0L flywheel and 10" clutch.

Last for now, headers. Anyone still selling headers for your conversion in the Alpines? The ones I have won't fit, chances are headers for the Alpine will be close if not fit well. I'd rather make modifications than have to start from scratch, and the ones I have are probably too rusty (~35 years old) to be worth cutting and welding.

Thanks,
-Josh

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Josh, Welcome aboard! Camcraft also has cams. Ranger Station has free floating rocker info. DanR makes headers that may work.

JoshT

Donation Time
I know about Theragerstation, been a member over there since around 2000. The 2.8L topics aren't as ative as they used to be and a lot of the old knowledge is gone or moved on to other (namely V8) engines and don't want to be bothered. Never was a lot of info on the free-floating rocker stuff, but there is a little in the tech articles. Mostly recommended clearances for machining your own stuff, which I'm not exactly equipped to do.

I'll check out Camcraft. I remembered after posting that Isky used to make cams, but it looks like they are what Racer Walsh resells.

DanR, will look for more info from him.

Thanks!
-Josh

JoshT

Donation Time
I took a look at camcraft after your post suggesting them. I don't think the one in the Antique Cams will work with my engine (84 Ranger) but the ones in the Ranger & Bronco should. Not a lot of info given there though.

https://www.camcraftcams.com/catalogs-links/ranger-bronco/

Was hoping for some experience based recommendations on particular grinds. Still appreciate the heads up on the company, guess I can give them a call and talk to them about it.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
DanR is using the Comp Cams 241. The Ranger/Bronco II have larger cam bearings than the earlier Mustang II and Capri. If you tell Camcraft your application they can grind it.

JoshT

Donation Time
Jim, for some reason I thought I saw 2.8L on that Ranger & Bronco page. Guess I was seeing things. Hydraulic lifter cam profiles probably won;t work too well for a solid lifter engine, so I should probably call and talk to them about it when the time comes.

I'll look for DanR and browse through his posts before I go bugging him directly. Thanks for giving me the lead.

Racer Walsh has stuff for 2.8, including cams.
https://racerwalsh.com/product-category/6-cylinder/2-8/

I know:

I know Racer Walsh also offers a couple o cams, but got no real information on them. Any recommendations or suggestions?

I remembered after posting that Isky used to make cams, but it looks like they are what Racer Walsh resells.

The information provided by both Isky and Racer Walsh tell me nothing about the cams. I was hoping for feedback on people's experience with carious cams. I know most people won't have tried several, just hoping for feedback on what they thought about what they did try and recommendations based on their experiences.

Thanks for taking the time to respond though.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I know that Jose had a grind ( the Jose grind) at Delta Cams. Maybe that's the profile you're looking for?

JoshT

Donation Time
Based on what I've read, that's the one I definitely want to avoid. I'm sure its great for what it was made for (IE: squeezing max power out of a heavily built 2.8) but that's not what I'm after. Seem to recall several people saying something along the lines of they wanted to move away from that "all out race cam" for something more streetable and drivable.

My best options are probably to give one (or more) of the above mentioned cam companies a call and see what they recommend. Still I was hopint o hear more about other people's experiences with the cam they selected, as well as what that cam is (manufacturer and part number, or grind info).

Cams are getting addressed, but anyone got input on the other parts?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've found that in general, cams with roughly stock advertised specs, but greater .050" duration along with higher lift, make good street cams.
Bill

JoshT

Donation Time
Looks like the 38-241-4 makes good numbers for me. Do you happen to have a graph for the 38-240-4 that I currently have, or even the stage 2 Racer Walsh cams? Wondering if it would even be worth while to change.

I do not remember if it has the steam holes, but I doubt it. That's something I will do if I pull the heads back off, but I'm not pulling them to do it. Plugging the smog holes and drilling are on my to-do list, even though we never had an issue with the headers leaking before.

If I still have a spare set of heads aty parents house I may send them out for professional (aka someone that knows what they are doing) porting, larger valves, and milling, but who does it for these heads now? Is it something any porting company can safely do, or do I need to find someone familiar with these heads? I would assume the latter due to the differences between heads.

JoshT

Donation Time
Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I know that Jose had a grind ( the Jose grind) at Delta Cams. Maybe that's the profile you're looking for?
Steve, I believe JoshT said he did not want a racer ?

The jose grind is a full race cam...."zero" vacuum at 900-1000 RPM according to Delta Rep's.

JoshT

Donation Time
Steve, I believe JoshT said he did not want a racer ?

The jose grind is a full race cam...."zero" vacuum at 900-1000 RPM according to Delta Rep's.
Yep. Your experience and one or two other member's experiences with it sugested it is not the right one for me.

Plus I no longer have a stock cam to regrind. If I'm going to buy a cam anyway I'd rather pickup something available off the shelf that is close to what I want. I'm asking questions and reading because I don't know exactly what that is. The 240 cam was a good option for the Ranger the engine used to be in (technically still is I guess) but does not seem like a good choice for a small light weight car like these.

Dan, I was going to send you a message about headers closer to time to build, but since you chimed in I'll go ahead and ask. Do you think your headers would be close to fitting an MGB since that's the car I'm currently leaning towards?

Pictures of them I saw on your website make me think they'll fit almost any chassis. You did a good job of getting them to hug then engine and stay tight to the transmission.

Last edited: