• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Five Harrington Le Mans

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rare occurrence to have one Harrington Le Mans (HLM) at a car show let alone five. Thanks to SUNI VII organizers, especially Eric Gibeaut (red HLM on the right), and the other four owners of the HLMs (Bob Webb - Steve Meyers - Reg Hahn - Jerry Logan).

upload_2021-9-26_11-44-18.png

upload_2021-9-26_11-44-38.png

Attachments

• SUNI Le Mans.jpg
    SUNI Le Mans.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 9
  • SUNI Le Mans 2.jpg
    SUNI Le Mans 2.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
It has to be a record! We had 5 Harringtons in Covington, Kentucky at the United about 12 years ago but there were just 3 Le Mans there then along with Bob Avery's "Sebring" car and a D type Harrington.
This photo shows Jerry Logan's Rootes promotional Harrington shown alongside the other Le Mans at SUNI. Note the three different types of rear vents on the first three Le Mans-just another small difference in the production of these rare cars.Judging five Harringtons.JPG

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Eric, do you remember that here in TippCity, Ian & I had 4 HLMs & 1 HA down in the basement of the batcave!!!...LoL!
Jan
I remember coming back, after acquiring my HLM, to the 2004 Invasion at the Air force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. Ian assured me that he would show me a good time. Ian did not disappoint. I was taken to the, Tipp City, Batcave and was swept away by the collection you and Ian had. Ian also gave me the privilege of driving his Harrington Alpine. That was a wonderful way to be introduced to the Harrington marque. I also, through Ian's dad Rex, acquired a 1963 Silver Cloud Rolls Royce with 24,000 miles on the day after the Invasion banquet. Picked it up a week later with my truck and trailer. Had an extended trip back to Washington State because it took at least a half hour (talking with the patrons and people just stopping to look at the Rolls) to depart from every gas station I stopped at. We all have fun with those kind of moments.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
It has to be a record! We had 5 Harringtons in Covington, Kentucky at the United about 12 years ago but there were just 3 Le Mans there then along with Bob Avery's "Sebring" car and a D type Harrington.
This photo shows Jerry Logan's Rootes promotional Harrington shown alongside the other Le Mans at SUNI. Note the three different types of rear vents on the first three Le Mans-just another small difference in the production of these rare cars.View attachment 24295
Also, note my early Series II hood position compared to the production Le Mans.

65sunbeam

Diamond Level Sponsor
Eric, do you remember that here in TippCity, Ian & I had 4 HLMs & 1 HA down in the basement of the batcave!!!...LoL!
Jan

I sure do Jan-and two of those Le Mans are now at my house! When Jim E bought in 2005 what was to become Vader from Ian I bought another of the Le Mans from him at the same time and a truck with a big trailer brought Jim's and my car to South Carolina.

My Harrington and Jim's S3 Sept05.jpg

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Jerry, same as the SI hood prop position. Think it was changed somehow on early SII's. Actually a big improvement...

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Jan

I sure do Jan-and two of those Le Mans are now at my house!
There was a Wedgeblue Blue Lemans that we had, do you have that one too? That was one-of-two Lemans that was delivered to Lewis Auto Sales here in Dayton. I have the second one in Carnival Red that I want to get working on.
By the way, Bob Webb's white Lemans was one of ours too.
(Had we known about Jerry's Lemans forsale, we would have bought that one too..LoL!)
Jan

65sunbeam

Diamond Level Sponsor
The red one on the trailer was Wedgewood Blue originally.
Found this Lewis Motors sticker on the back of a rusty Sunbeam I recently bought....

Lewis Motors Dayton Ohio.JPG

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
"(Had we known about Jerry's Lemans forsale, we would have bought that one too..LoL!)
Jan"

My story on getting the Promotional Le Mans includes the receiving a handful of flyers to pass the word on to all Sunbeam enthusiasts from, previous owner, Rich Longstaff. I knew that if I shared this with the Sunbeam community obtaining the Le Mans would have had a narrow window. So, I threw away all the flyers except one. Called Longstaff a couple hours later and arranged for a viewing the following weekend. Upon seeing the Le Mans and the exquisite original condition I bought it immediately. It was about a couple weeks later that I got a call from Ian Spencer and we talked on the phone for a couple hours (back when you paid for long distance calls). Ian was enthusiastic about the find and very supportive as I went forward on the restoration.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
There should be still a few HLM projects out there. Finished ones however are a whole different story budget wise, but it's good to see more and more returning from decay...

Last edited: