• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

First Drive - turned around in driveway!

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Rebuilt Zeniths bolted on and initially set, took the car for a spin! --turned around in the driveway:cool: :) .

What a thrill!

Caliper pistons are frozen:eek: will take them to a shop along with the rotors.

YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Drove the damn thing!

Have been contemplating a nick for the 'beam and will use one suggested by a friend - Air-pine:) given its reported past and art work.

Allan

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
First Drive

Hey Allan:
It is good to hear what you are up to and it sounds like you are having a ball!
I would like to take as stab at my Zenith carbs but for some reason I shake just thinking about it. Was it a big job and do you have any pointer for someone who has never made any attempt in this regard let alone trying to balance them? I would love to take my Zeniths of this winter and rebuild them but scarry, scarry is the only thing that comes to mind. I had a fellow quote me rebuilding both carbs, $230.00 for each one!:eek:
What do you think of that?
Regards,
Andrew

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hey Allan:
It is good to hear what you are up to and it sounds like you are having a ball!
I would like to take as stab at my Zenith carbs but for some reason I shake just thinking about it. Was it a big job and do you have any pointer for someone who has never made any attempt in this regard let alone trying to balance them? I would love to take my Zeniths of this winter and rebuild them but scarry, scarry is the only thing that comes to mind. I had a fellow quote me rebuilding both carbs, $230.00 for each one!:eek:
What do you think of that?
Regards,
Andrew

if they rebuild the zeniths properly.. i think that would be ok..as in strip them down and media blast them, all new parts, probably bore out the throttle bodies to make them round again and make new butterflys.. if they are just kitting them and telling you they are rebuilt.. then thats a different story.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Andrew,

I looked at the diagrams and decided that the carbs would benefit from professional experience, and took them to a shop north of here.

They appear to have done a super job, and the ultrasounded carbs appear as new. If they work as good as they look then the expense was well worth it.

I believe an enthusiast can rebuild the Zeniths if great care is taken. I am not sure that an enthusist would have the experience to know if a particular part needs replacing.

The Air-pine's Zeniths had a PO's auto choke installed within the brass fuel fitting. Not sure I would have caught that, and am pretty sure it was an obstacle to functionality in the pre-rebuild carbs.

But SS provides a great kit, and putting in the new gaskets & etc should definatley be dooable on the home bench, with great care taken.

From the diagrams it doesn't look to difficult - I just felt solid reliable carbs from a shop would be a good investement in future enjoyment.

Rgds,

Allan

alpine_64

Donation Time
Allan,

Just a quick one, why did you go the Zeniths? The SIV never ran thema nd you have a 1725.. you just liked the look or is it they were the most powerful stock carb setup?

Also, tell us how long before they start weeping a little fuel.. they have a habbit of doing this.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Michael,

I decided to use the Zeniths for a blend of reasons, some of them irrational I am sure!

I do like their look with the coopers. I sorta think the pancake air filters were for home use, with different filters for export, but what can I say. I like the way they look - and sound!

As for performance, I am told that on paper they do as well as the Strombergs. You be the judge as I am not in any way sufficiently knowledgeable to know. They are simple basic carbs with a good feed of fuel. I hope they are easy to adjust and to sync.

I hope in addition that the Zeniths can be modified should ever my fantasy of Stage II tuning come to fruition. I asked the carb guys if different throttle bodies can be obtained and the yes I received was tempered only by my lack of knowledge whether I'd do that, or just what. Time will tell!

I'll sure do a post when & if fuel weepage takes place. That's experience talking, which experience I don't yet have. I don't much care though, it just adds to my greater enjoyment to have another something to tune and tinker.

My former S IV was 100% stock. That was normal for Alpines a few years after Chrysler pulled the plug. It was a tired S IV though, and I blamed the Solex. My ignorance I am sure, but I felt I'd not do Solex again. I am sure I made a bad decision on that.

My former S V had Strombergs and they ran strong. They are great carbs. I debated switching to them as I have a pair and manifold with linkage, that only need some TLC, perhaps.

But the Zeniths/coopers are such classics, and offer no substantial performance penalty that I know of, that I just had to keep them for a go.

So...that's that for the Air-pine!

Rgds,

allan

alpine_64

Donation Time
Allan,

The Zeniths are a good performing carb, i think the most powerful of all stock options. The solex is a dog so no issues with changing from that.

The Zeniths have a habbit of dropping out of tune/sync and they have a habbit of ovaling the throttle bodies. There is a lack of people who know how/what goes wrong with them, which probably doesn't help thie reputation and most "rebuilds" probably dont help as they are only kitted not rebuilt.

They do sound nice and when running well will give you a smile when driving and when opening the bonet. Have fun with them and yours look to have been done right, i would hoevere bet you will get a small leak from between them that will leak onto the manifold.

As for upgrading.. you can always use the larger ones off a ford zeypher! :)

Nickodell

Donation Time
Have been contemplating a nick for the 'beam and will use one suggested by a friend - Air-pine:) given its reported past and art work.
Allan

Great minds think alike!

Alpineair.jpg