• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

finally on the dark side

socorob

Donation Time
Dyno Run and Weigh In

Today I went to the dyno. and got the car corner weighed while I was there. The last few things I did dropped about 40 pounds of weight from the car.It could be that the 1st time it weighed 2340 was a full tank of gas, and this time it had 1/4 tank. It weighed 2296 and is a little nose heavy.

FL 642, 27.9% FR 633, 27.6%
RL 523, 22.8% RR 500, 21.8%

The car ended up with 110 whp at 5271 RPM, and 139 tq at 1609 rpm... The engine is stock on the inside as far as I know, with some port matching on the intake on the heads. I have all the bolts on go fast parts except a cold air intake. I did lose my Mallory ignition box, so the only ignition control is thought a ballast resistor, not getting much ignition advance, which made it lose a good bit of power.

Attachments

• dyno small.JPG
    dyno small.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 38

pcmenten

Donation Time
First I want to say how impressed I am with the amount and the quality of work you have done on your car. Good on ya, mate!

At first I thought that 139 lb/ft of torque was low, then I realized this was a chassis dyno, so that sounds about right. Moves out pretty good, I'll bet.

bluoval

Donation Time
chin spoiler

On 4 10 09 I posted a pic of my tiger which has a moss motors chin spoiler. hope this gives you a little help Earl blu oval

socorob

Donation Time
Cold(er) air intake

I went to the pick a part with a friend a few weekends ago and started looking for a cold air intake setup for the 2.8. I found a plenum on a dodge Dakota, and grabbed a hose I saw laying around that fit onto it, with a bend that looked like it would work. Got a spectre air filter from autozone, and a piece of exhaust pipe from advanced... $32 cold air intake. The inside of the plenum had some metal braces which I cut out, and the hole had to be made a little bigger to git around the carb, but theres a lip on the underside of the plenum that was the right size, so you have a line to follow when you cut. Heres how it looks so far. I just put it on to see if it fits. I need to weld a tab to the exhaust pipe section, so I have a way to mount it solidly to the car, and then spray it black. Heres what it looks like.

Attachments

• air intake small.JPG
    air intake small.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 92

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
HEYYY!!

The intake hose has to be glued up out of at least two separate hoses or it is considered cheating. Other than that, it looks like a nifty solution.

Bill

socorob

Donation Time
Motorcycle mirrors

Well I have had the alpine for about 3.5 years and have not had rear view mirrors. It finally got to me and I couldn't really find anything I was crazy about so I swung into a motorcycle shop and ended up walking out with these...

Attachments

• mirror pass small.JPG
    mirror pass small.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 84

buckalpine3

Donation Time
side mirror

Finally, a side mirror that looks useful and big enough that you may be able to see back and side. Very nice

socorob

Donation Time
Some bullet mirrors came in a box with the car. I really like the way they look but I taped them onto the car and couldn't see anything out of them. That's when I put the mirror thing on the backburner for a couple years.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, finding mirrors that will work on an Alpine is a real bitch. These look good, hope they are as functional as their looks. Are they concave?

Are they for a specific bike or generic?

Bill

socorob

Donation Time
These are just flat and actual size. I was hoping to find some concave ones but these were there and I wanted to end it. These are Yamaha mirrors but if I had to do it again I would go with the same ones for a Honda or Kawasaki. The Yamaha has 1 with right hand thread and 1 with left hand thread. The others are both right hand. Know how hard it is to find a fine thread left hand metric nut? Pegasus auto racing was the only place I found after several days of looking. I haven't driven the car yet to see how good they work but there's more visibility out of these than the bullet mirrors.

socorob

Donation Time
Going through some old files I think I found the cad drawing I brought to the water cut place to get my Nissan rotors mounted to the sunbeam. My computer crashed a while back and had to reload so I couldn't find my new copy of visio to open it in and check it. Could someone with cad or a newish version of visio open this and see if it matches the middle picture in post 101 of this thread please? I'm trying to organize my stuff and dont know if this is it because I don't have anything that will open it.

Attachments

• Nissan Rotor to Sunbeam Hub Adapter.zip
    5 KB · Views: 36

socorob

Donation Time
Dash Flair

Decided to do a little fun project on the car today. Since I didn't have anything that said Sunbeam on the car, I decided to add this to my glove box door....

Attachments

• dash script.JPG
    dash script.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 80

socorob

Donation Time
Thanks. I must have sat there for an hour moving it all around trying to figure out where to put it.

bashby

Donation Time
Robbie, I opened the file (using Solidworks)and found the following:
Inner diameter=2.62" (66.548mm).
Outer diameter=5.50" (139.7mm).
Distance from Center to Outer 6-0.406"(10.321mm) holes=2.441" (62mm)
Distance from Center to Inner 4-0.375"(9.525mm) holes=1.679" (42.659mm).
Straight line distance across center between 4-inner holes=3.359" (85.319mm). Straight line distance between inner holes 2.375" (60.329mm).
Straight line distance across center between outer 6-holes=4.882" (123.998mm). Straight line distance between outer holes=2.441" (61.99mm).
I could open this is Visio tomorrow if needed.
-Bill

socorob

Donation Time
Thanks for the help! I Wrote all the measurements down somewhere, so now I can check to make sure it's the final version I made.

coupe

Donation Time
Hey Robbie, I found two mirors that work well and look pretty good. They are from a 1974 ford bronco, and coverage is very good.
coupe

Attachments

• DCP_2392.jpg
    DCP_2392.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 49
  • DCP_2393.jpg
    DCP_2393.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 70

socorob

Donation Time
Center console

I picked up a sheet of ABS the other day and am thinking about making a console for the Alpine. I had some free time today so I made a cardboard mockup. The only differences between the mock up and the final product (hopefully) will be the final version will have round curves instead of sharp angles. I will try to heat and bend the pieces to make it match the Alpine. The car is so curvy I cant bring myself to put anything square on it unless there's no other choice. it will also give me practice for whenever I finally attempt the rear window. ABS is about half the price, so Id rather mess up with this. It will probably be my winter project, to give me time to make sure it's exactly how I want it, but if anyone else has made one, could you post a picture so I can get some more ideas. Also any comments, ideas, suggestions and criticisms are very welcome.

socorob

Donation Time
Forgot the pictures.

Attachments

• console back view.JPG
    console back view.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 71
  • console side view.JPG
    console side view.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 81