• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Exhaust sound

ceecpa

Donation Time
Our Series 5 has a stainless exhaust system installed by the DPO. The sound is not "British Sports Car" according to my tastes. It's raspy, key of F where I would prefer C. Taste is, of course, dreadfully personal. However, there must be something better.

What exhaust systems seem appropriate? Is there a Stebro, Abarth, or Other system that you would recommend?

Thanks.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The stainless systems tend to have that more raspy sound.. they mellow a little over time with use (i guess the pipes get coated with the carbon and are muted a little?) The other thing is to just change out your silencer/muffler.. or are you running just a muffler?

You can add a silencer, you could switch to a chambered hotdog style silencer.. or you can get something like an ansa tail section. Search bill atallas post on exhuasts he has tried a few combos.

65beam

Donation Time
exhaust

the stainless is the only alpine specific exhaust that has been available for several years. abarth went away many years ago. there are several universal rear tips you can buy or you're stuck making your own. i have the stainless on all of my cars and after awhile they sound good. plus when you own them as long as i do, you never have to replace it. plus you can polish them and they really look good.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I run a single glasspack and an ansa dual resonator tip.

Not sure if it sounds british, but it sounds sporty and performs very well for me.

65beam

Donation Time
just a little trivia. i pulled out the receipt from 1970 for my abarth exhaust system for the series 4. cost from auto world in scranton,pa was 59.50 .the catalog didn't list a stebro system for sunbeams.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Believe it or not, the stainless steel system from VB gives one of the best sounds - assertive enough but not overly strident, with most sound in the low register. The main problem with many aftermarket systems is failure to mute the objectionable "fingernails on the blackboard" high-frequency tones. Many people modify their systems by removing the small resonator, with disastrous results. I did, to my cost. The VB system I installed 12 years ago is great.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have a Midas built pipe from header to just in front of the rear axle and a small (12 inchish) can then just pipe back. Loud and probably obnoxious. I like it.

Jersey Alpine

Donation Time
My SV has a stainless exhaust system that I added an ANSA tip to. This mod changed the sound from raspy to a mellow, powerfull sound. A bit loud for one with "opera" ears, but it's the sound of horsepower to my helicopter pilot ears. TK-4528 ANSA Turbo-Krome Dial Chrome Tip. Have fun!

Nickodell

Donation Time
the sound of horsepower to my helicopter pilot ears.

Off-subject (I'm notorious for that.) Fixed-wing PPL since 1960, and I always meant to at least try for a rotary-wing license. Only once took the controls of a 'copter owned by a friend. He took her up and put her into stable forward flight, and I enjoyed a minute at the cyclic control - straight ahead and gentle turns - with him handling the collective. At least I kept it straight. He explained a phenomenon that one doesn't get in fixed-wing aircraft, something about a vertical column of air that you can get trapped in and unable to stop going down despite any amount of throttle. From his description I couldn't quite grasp how, in that case, you land at all; but you'll know all about that.

alpine_64

Donation Time
My SV has a stainless exhaust system that I added an ANSA tip to. This mod changed the sound from raspy to a mellow, powerfull sound. A bit loud for one with "opera" ears, but it's the sound of horsepower to my helicopter pilot ears. TK-4528 ANSA Turbo-Krome Dial Chrome Tip. Have fun!

good work in posting the part number as well.. that is very useful yet often forgoten

mbruskin

Donation Time
I also have a stainless exhaust that has a sound I don't care for. I couldn't find the Ansa TK-4528 chrome tip on their website. I called them and found out that exhaust tip has been discontinued and they haven't had any since 2004. They didn't think any of their suppliers would still have any.

Murray

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I also have a stainless exhaust that has a sound I don't care for. I couldn't find the Ansa TK-4528 chrome tip on their website. I called them and found out that exhaust tip has been discontinued and they haven't had any since 2004. They didn't think any of their suppliers would still have any.

Murray

Try a hooker 21405 or 21401 (difference is inlet size).

Bought mine on ebay for surprisingly little coin.