• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Erratic speedo

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
The speedo is jumping around and it's not the cable. Odo and trip meters seem fine. Any ideas as to lubing the innards?

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
The speedo is jumping around and it's not the cable. Odo and trip meters seem fine. Any ideas as to lubing the innards?

How do you know it's not the cable? - Because the Odometer and trip meters are fine?? If the cable has too tight bends and /or poorly lubed, it will bind a bit and then jump forward and cause the needle to jump.

Tom

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Sounds like the cable imo. I had an issue with mine where it would do nothing until I hit 20MPH and then would jump like crazy as if gained or lost speed. Changed the cable and now it behaves. The cable needs to naturally curve or you'll have trouble with it.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Either cable binding as others suggest.. Or..
The peg that goes into the speedo head is rounded and slipping.. Can use some teflon tape to wrap it and make it a tight fit.

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
It wasn't the cable, I found a spare that worked and with a little Peter borrowing from Paul, got one with the original face, dial and indicator lights working just fine. I did look up the info on mhartman.net and worked over the original but in the end it didn't jump but wasn't reading correctly.