• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

engine coolant drain tap

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
My (as yet unused since rebuild many years ago) 1725 has a blank brass plug in the block where I assume the coolant drain tap should be.

I noticed that my friends Gazelle (badged a Hillman in Australia), which also has a 1725, has a drain tube extending from the block, through a hole near the engine mount, to a small drain tap which faces forwards.

Would the Alpine originally have had a similar system? Out of interest is the drain in the same position on 1500 and 1600 blocks? Should I worry about fitting a tap in place of the blank plug (hopefully I won't have to drain it too often!!)

Nickodell

Donation Time
Dave, my SV 1725 had drain taps at the bottom of both radiator and engine block, neither of which worked because they were always plugged with crud. I replaced each with a plug, which when you remove lets the water and junk out rapidly.

napa 1

Donation Time
Dave, my series 1 has the drain tap exactly as you described it on your friend's Gazelle. When I attempted to drain the engine this weekend to begin taking it apart, the radiator tap, worked great.... the engne drain was plugged just as Nick described it.

Wombat

Donation Time
Dave

Drain pipe and tap is the same for the 1500 and 1600 (and probably the 1725 as well). My Series IV has a 1725 (Hillman Hunter block, I think) and also has the plug. I seem to rememner one of my Hillmans had a drain tap screwed directly into the block.

lemansvk

Donation Time
My Series IV has a 1725 (Hillman Hunter block, I think) and also has the plug. I seem to rememner one of my Hillmans had a drain tap screwed directly into the block.

You can tell the source of your 1725 block from the engine number. In Australia, Hunter blocks start with 'H'; blocks from Super Minx IV will start 'AB03', from Hillman Gazelles 'AB7', Minx VI 'AB006'

Cheers, Vic