• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Electronic Ignition Conversion

mr.bridger

Donation Time
fellow beamers, not sure if I’m in the right category, I have a sv fairly stock but I think it’s time I have a go at converting over to EI..
My main big question is : which brand and kit should I go for? I’d like to do the whole kit n kaboodle, wires, plugs, dizzy etc to make sure everything talks to each other, so to speak. Also, a follow up question would be what pitfalls should I expect or is it as simple as I’ve heard from non sunbeam owners?
I’m keeping the questions fairly simple but I really am attempting this from a “ not a mechanic, but I’ll try anything once” standpoint, thus there may be 1000 follow up questions, Time will tell..
I will try to make a (YouTube) video of this so that others can learn/ laugh at my mistakes or successes and will give honory mentions to those willing to have their names associated with this endeavor.
Thanks one and all for any advice/ input/ insight you may have and for taking the time to respond.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
You can just buy a Pertonics unit from either Classic Sunbeam or Sunbeam Specialties. They are easy to
install and get rid of the points. The only other thing to consider would be the Pertonics flamethrower
coil. So long as your plug wires and plugs are OK, you should be good to go for not a lot of money.

Hope that helps.
Cheers!
Steve

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
As Steve suggested, most of us have simply installed a Pertronix unit inside our existing Distributor. No need to replace wires, plugs, dizzy, coil etc unless they are worn out. And , no, this is not the correct category. Minor changes like wiring, carb changes, etc are best discussed on the "stock" forum. Most of the posts in the Modified forum involve engine swaps, V6, turbo, Honda, etc and most of us using an Alpine engine will look mostly in the Stock forum for questions and answers.

Tom

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
As Tom suggested the "STOCK ALpine" would be the correct place for this.

I'll try to get Greggers, our TECH Guru to "move" it over. Keep going if you wish!