• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Electric Fuel Pump Conversion Punch List

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello Sunbeamers...

I am about to convert my Series V from the original fuel pump to an electric one. This isn't by choice but my mechanical one has failed, so my thought is that if I'm changing anyway, I will go electric.

I have spent a lot of time scouring the forum for info about this conversion.

Based on what I've seen so far, I've come to a few conclusions:
  1. Mounting the pump outside of the battery box seems to be the consensus.
  2. Use some type of sound deadening material between the pump and the car.
  3. An inertia/cutoff switch is a must.
  4. The requirement is for a low pressure pump.
Having said that, what I would like to ask is if anyone has compiled a conversion document that they would be willing to share?

If not, what I'd like to know in addition to what I have found out above is the following:

1. Best method of Wiring in the Pump...ie where/how best to get power?
  2. Where to mount/wire the Inertia Switch? (I've only seen a couple of differing comments on that)
  3. Fuel Pressure Regulator...yes or no? (I haven't seen a clear answer on that one)
  4. If yes on the FPR, where to mount?
  5. Inline FUEL FILTER yes or no? (I'm guessing yes but have not seen it mentioned).
  6. What are the STOCK fitting and fuel line sizes involved in the run from the tank to the pump? (I've seen multiple sizes mentioned)
I like to plan and try and have everything in place before I begin a project, thus all of the questions.

I would love it if someone who has done this could give a point A to point B breakdown on materials and methods but as always, I'll be happy with any info that you can provide.

Do's, Dont's , Tips and product suggestions are also welcome!

I know it's a pretty straightforward operation...I'm just overkill on planning by nature. Lol