• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Elec fuel pump with weber 32/36

Robbo

Donation Time
I just picked upa carter pump self regulated at 3.5 psi. Wanted to check with experienced users if that is safe and adequate pressure for the weber carb on my sv or if i should look at lower pressure solution/external regulator. Thoughts?

RootesRich

Donation Time
I believe it's too high. You need to be between 1.5 and about 2.0.

For reference, the stock mechanical unit produces 1.5-1.75 which is perfect for your Weber.

atallamcs

Donation Time
fuel pump

Quoted from the experts. I have also done this with my dual webers and single webers--this is the answer. Anything else is just fooling around.
"We ONLY use the Carter Rotary pumps. They are High Volume (60-70 GPH) but only 4 psi. This is PERFECT for all Weber applications from a Single 32/36 DGV. . . "
Bill

65beam

Donation Time
fuel pump

but as someone said before, an electric pump is not needed for the 32/36. the original mechanical pump is all that is required for it. why pump a large amount of fuel when it's not needed? kinda like trying to put six gallons of fuel into a five gallon can. this setup has worked great on three of my cars with the 32/36 for years.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
When running a Weber you need volumn not pressure the carter 4070 is a good pump and the pressure for a Weber should be around 4 to 6 psi no more than 6 and no less than 3.:cool:

Fuel Pumps and Fuel Pressure:
Fuel delivery is critical to the proper performance of any Weber carb. From a basic 32/36 DGEV to a set of Triple Sidedraft DCOE's. Webers rely on a stable full float bowl in order to mix the fuel and air correctly. Mechanical pumps very rarely do this. They pulse fuel instead of giving a smooth even delivery and the amount of fuel varies with engine RPM.

A Proper Electric Fuel pump will give the best performance and most stable tuning for any Weber carb application. We use only High Volme and Low Pressure pumps. Webers work best at approx 4 psi of fuel pressure (Not 2 psi like many of the older books stated.) and you need Volume not Pressure to keep the float bowl full.

We ONLY use the Carter Rotary pumps. They are High Volume (60-70 GPH) but only 4 psi. This is PERFECT for all Weber applications from a Single 32/36 DGV on a Truck, Jeep or Car to a Triple Sidedraft setup on a Road Race car making 300 HP...This pump DOES NOT and SHOULD NOT use a Pressure Regulator for any reason. That is why we use it....

Carter 4070 Fuel pump with Mounting Bracket kit

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Calculating Fuel Requirements

We ONLY use the Carter Rotary pumps. They are High Volume (60-70 GPH) but only 4 psi. This is PERFECT for all Weber applications from a Single 32/36 DGV on a Truck, Jeep or Car to a Triple Sidedraft setup on a Road Race car making 300 HP...

First go here and read about it:
http://www.fuel-pumps.net/fuelpumpsfaq41.html#5

"...Multiply horsepower by .38 (naturally-aspirated motors) or .47 (force-induction motors) to come up with a fairly accurate guide to how many liters per hour of fuel you will need to feed the engine..."

At wide open throttle we might get 100hp * 0.38 = 38 L/Hr (or about 10 GPH)
At cruise we might get 20hp * 0.38 = 7.6 L/Hr (or about 2 GPH)
So, from the math, it tells me that a stock mechanical pump will pump WAY more fuel than an Alpine engine will ever produce in HP.
Is this right?
Jan

RootesRacer

Donation Time
First go here and read about it:
http://www.fuel-pumps.net/fuelpumpsfaq41.html#5

"...Multiply horsepower by .38 (naturally-aspirated motors) or .47 (force-induction motors) to come up with a fairly accurate guide to how many liters per hour of fuel you will need to feed the engine..."

At wide open throttle we might get 100hp * 0.38 = 38 L/Hr (or about 10 GPH)
At cruise we might get 20hp * 0.38 = 7.6 L/Hr (or about 2 GPH)
So, from the math, it tells me that a stock mechanical pump will pump WAY more fuel than an Alpine engine will ever produce in HP.
Is this right?
Jan

With flow, there is a subsequent reduction in pressure.
This is becuase as you use more fuel, the average spring pressure (which sets fuel pressure) is reduced due to fuel being consumed by a larger percentage of the pumps volumetric stroke.

That said, it is well known that the stock mechanical AC pumps used in rootes vehicles can adequately supply 120HP.

As for all you folks on the 4psi Carter bandwagon, Webers have different sized needle valves, which determine the required fuel pressure to maintain correct level at maximum flow rates.

Weber specifies the pressure at 1.5 to 3psi for 1.75 needles
The bigger the needles, the lower the pressure it will handle without overflowing the float bowls.

Needles when they are new will undoubtedly handle the added pressure, but as the viton flows and wears, the needles ability to seal against fuel pressure is diminished.
I bought a nice 4.5psi Facet pump that overflowed the bowls on both my webers. I replaced the needles (which were only 2 years old), and it held the 4.5psi pressure, but its only a matter of time till it would have leaked again.

Go above 3psi at your own risk, and remember that Rootes put the exhaust right under your carb(s).

jimandi

Donation Time
electric fuel pump with weber 32/36

Robo,
Do you have a part number for the carter fuel pump you bought?
Thanks,
Jim

atallamcs

Donation Time
fuel pump

I love all the theory, good reading. How about what actually works by someone, such as myself using the "Carter" fuel pump. I am not exactly the type to take short cuts--I try and do what is best and proven and my Harrington runs beyond, unlike how it ran with the stock pump.
Bill

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
I am useing the Carter SP4070 with a 32/36 and no issues have run it for two years. no regulator! It is working great

65beam

Donation Time
fuel pump

george,
what happened that you were stuck on the road side last april? oldtimers disease prevents me from remembering! tell us about another potential fuel problem. it may help others.

Robbo

Donation Time
I have a P60504 by Carter. Sounds like varying opinions on use, but I'm keeping the original equipment anyway. If this sounds like a good pump to use, I'll likely start the install this weekend. What have others used for fuel line and diameter? I have the original plastic line so open to installation pointers too. Thanks again all.

kmathis

Donation Time
Hi, Rob:

I just replaced all of the plastic tubing on my car from the tank to the carb. The fitting at the bottom of the trunk there is 5/16 compression; so I used 5/16 steel line with a compression fitting at that end and formed it up over the rear axle and to the electric fuel pump that I had mounted to the frame. From there on to the engine compartment. You can pretty much just follow the same path that the plastic line went. Bending the steel tubing may require a tubing bender and it may be easier to take 3/16 brake line to make a pattern to bend the larger tubing. Thats what I did and it worked out pretty good.:cool:

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Oh yea! last year was the combination of fuel filter and an old faccet style pump, or pulse pump, it seems that the older version of this pump is better than the newer ones they are selling these days. It is hard to find a good pump, if your gas has alot of ethanol then stay away from diaphram pumps, it softens the rubber and gose bad fast. I have found a pump that mite be a keeper, I have not tried it yet I hope to by one soon, the Carter pump is good and puts out alot of fuel at low pressure, but its is noisy. The new pump I am looking at is this!

http://autoperformanceengineering.com/html/fr_pumps.html
:cool: The FRB and FRD pumps look to be the best for our application.