• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ebay Series V

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Hey, all:

Has anyone seen the red Series V that is currently listed on Ebay? It doesn't look like a terrible car or anything, but it does have some rather glaring inconsitencies about it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180503826495&_trksid=p2759.l1259

The pic showing the serial plate shows the car to be carrying a color code of 109, which is Orchid Green. However, the car has been painted red except for under the hood, where it looks white in the pics. Now, I realize that color changes happen all the time and it's certainly not impossible for this car to have undergone two color changes in it's life (once to white and then to red). But, if you look at the pic of the "California Automobile Registration Card" and compare the number on it to the serial number on the tag, they don't match. I'm wondering if the serial plate is off of another Series V, since it appears that neither color on the car is the original, or is the number on the CA registration card not supposed to match the VIN (which doesn't seem likely to me...)

I've fired off these questions to the seller in hopes that he can shed some light on it for me. I'm trying to get myself in a position to be able to pick up a decent Series V for my wife and this car struck my eye as one that might be a good basis from which to start. However, the possibility that the serial plate has been changed from another car doesn't interest me at all.

Am I just missing something here? Any thoughts from you guys?

Thanks,

jmthehermit

Donation Time
The VIN tag has two original rivets but also two non-standard, lower left and top right. The title is for another car. Here are some pictures of VIN tags with original rivets. Note only two are used. Jeff

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
The pic showing the serial plate shows the car to be carrying a color code of 109, which is Orchid Green. However, the car has been painted red except for under the hood, where it looks white in the pics.

It is hard to tell, but it may be just the lighting. To me there is a green tint to the engine bay paint, maybe that is the original Orchid Green? Obviously the VIN plate has issues, but who knows what the true story is?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
There's a whole lot of stuff that's hosed up on that car... if you're looking for a good starter car I'd probably wait a while and choose another... this one's been messed about.

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Guys:

Thanks for your insight on this car. I think it best to just do what Kevin suggested and look a while longer. Surely I can come up with a car that has fewer mysteries than this one. I'm not foaming at the mouth to buy one right now, anyway. My wife can wait a little longer :).

Thanks again,

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Did you actually look at the car? I don't see anything in the pictures that looks white. I saw a color code 109 car that was re-painted light yellow, but had some original color in the trunk. It was very light yellow/green.

Mike

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Mike:

I'm in Oklahoma and the car is in Georgia, so I haven't seen it in person. However, the car I'm referring to is red in exterior color and looks to be a dingy white under the hood (that's the way it appears on my monitor). You must be looking at a different car. You mentioned that the car had some of the original paint in the trunk area. The trunk area of the car that I'm referring to has red paint on it, except where there are mats and panels.

Once again, the listing is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180503826495&_trksid=p2759.l1259

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The VIN difference is interesting. Could CA have used the VIN off a possible replacement engine block? The CA form does say "engine or I.D. number."

There appears to be is a slight green (109) tint to the engine compartment. It doesn't look that bad from the photos. One good sign: It doesn't have oodles of extra homemade wires hanging all of the place (just a few visible under the dash).

Anything uninspected is a pig-in-a-poke and should be discounted as such. It hasn't met reserve yet at $2500. $3500 wouldn't be outrageous for this project.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Andy,

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't mean that I saw the car from e-bay in person. I saw a different car in person that was a 109 code that still had some original paint color in the trunk. The point I was trying to make (poorly) was that the color you were describing as dingy white, could actually be the original 109 color - it's that light (as also mentioned by Rootes Rooter).

Mike

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Mike:

Sorry for the misinterpretation on my part. Maybe it's my eyesight (getting worse as I get older, I'm afraid...), but the engine compartment looked a dingey white to me. I can see, however, that there must be a little tint to it. You know, as long as I've been around Sunbeams (31 years now), I've only seen one Orchid Green car, a late Tiger MkII. Obviously, it's not a color that I'm too familiar with.

Did you happen to look at the bottom of the Ebay listing? The guy answered my questions (kind of) but then said that the owner of the car told him that it was originally red. I'm sure that the fellow that is listing the car only knows what he's been told and I'm not interested enough in the car to personally call the real owner. It'll be interesting to see what it tops out at.

Take care,

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Andy, the VIN tag has the two original rivets. Why the tag has two extra doesn't mean it's been switched. The paint code, 109 Orchid Green, is supported by the engine bay color. Obviously the seller is not the original owner and not up to spec on Sunbeams, as most of us are who are long term owners. The thing to consider is somewhere in the past the car had been repainted. It could of been done by the original owner prior to resale or it might have been repainted red by the dealership for the original owner. I wouldn't shy away from this car by what I feel are minor points. If you can get it within your budget and it's solid, go for it. I'm sure you might be able to get someone near to the car to inspect it for you. Jeff

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sad, really, that they chose to change from the original Orchid Green color - that's one of the rarest of all colors, and can be quite handsome.

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Jeff:

I was actually less concerned about the color change and more concerned about the fact that the serial number on the tag didn't the registration card that they had also pictured. I realize that the color has been changed, but that was really the second concern to my larger concern of mis-matched serial numbers on the car ID tag and the registration card. I still wonder what's going on there.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
With a car that old, wouldn't a bill of sale suffice to get it titled in your state? Contact you department of motor vehicles about buying an out of state car and what you need to get a title in your name.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Sad, really, that they chose to change from the original Orchid Green color - that's one of the rarest of all colors, and can be quite handsome.

Hi Kevin

Ol' Blue was originally Orchid Green - as supported by the VIN tag number. When I bought the car 31 years ago it had already been repainted. When I redid the paint job about 15 years ago I elected not to return to Orchid Green. I find the color really disgusting. It may be rare, but for me, it was not a bit attractive. My 2c worth.