• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

eBay: Series 3 with a Series II VIN B9112356

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Just a heads-up: Now on eBay is auction 334840233745, a Series 3ST Alpine claimed to be a Series II. The seller claims the VIN is B9112356 and that it comes with a “clean title”. But based on the few (5) pics offered, the body presents obviously as a later-production car and has likely had a VIN swap.

It's unsurprising s/he fails to give the entire VIN nor a pic of the tag.

Buyer beware.

Last edited:

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
First time seller with ZERO feedback score, there is someone you can trust.........NOT
Thanks for the heads up V

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I note that it appears to be a Series II dash and possibly a Series II engine. So perhaps, they had an accident in their SII car and rebodied their car.

I know - it's illegal to move VINs. But when the car is already registered, and you just want to get it back on the road - it's just a few pop rivets and you're on your way.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
I note that it appears to be a Series II dash and possibly a Series II engine. So perhaps, they had an accident in their SII car and rebodied their car.

I know - it's illegal to move VINs. But when the car is already registered, and you just want to get it back on the road - it's just a few pop rivets and you're on your way.
I contacted seller again, who insisted the car is a SII. I suggested adding a pic of inside the boot area but he balked and added a pic of the engine bay instead.

Putting a SII VIN on a S3 body will create quite a few problems when the unsuspecting buyer tries to get parts.

alpine_64

Donation Time
But then if that is an iron head from appearances, the block would not be an Alpine block either.
Block could be alpine if they swicthed over the cams and distributior etc... But seems less likely than just installing a fulliron head motor

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
I contacted seller again, who insisted the car is a SII. I suggested adding a pic of inside the boot area but he balked and added a pic of the engine bay instead.

Putting a SII VIN on a S3 body will create quite a few problems when the unsuspecting buyer tries to get parts.
Whether the car doesn't have the correct engine isn't material to this thread. Rather, the point is that the body clearly presents as a Series 3 wearing a Series II VIN. Whether the buyer knows this is questionable since s/he won't post a pic inside the boot (trunk).

Perhaps another club member will ask the seller to post a pic inside the trunk?

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Since the secondary stamping was on the motor it's a questionable issue.
Into the way back machine for a look at Norm Millerism " You're car could be crushed if you remove the VIN tag."
Not visible on his website anymore.

So what's the next state or country going to do when they get a request for a plate and tags on a move in?
Come here and look? Or otherwise scour the internet then be forced to follow whatever the other 49 states decided to call the car. Possibly they may add a secondary non removable state id as required in California if there is no secondary stamping or title and coming in on a bill of sale.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Perhaps another club member will ask the seller to post a pic inside the trunk?

Or find a way to convince the the seller to post a good view of the right rear fender to see the fuel filler location. Then again, a view of the trunk bottom would show a fuel tank or spare tire well - or maybe a rear valence shot might work.

Just a thought,

EDIT > By the serial number, this unit was one of the last couple hundred produced at Bristol Siddeley - maybe a clue there?

Difficult to tell but it seems to have a non-adjustable column.

Last edited:

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Description says "clean title" and non-drivable. Define that as you will.
And this is why I shouldn't be posting half asleep lol. Touche, brother.

To be fair, mine was registered and I PNO'd it for years before I moved and forgot to upkeep that. Silly me. I had to go through hoops in California but had no real problems getting it re-registered beyond having to make it 'drivable' enough (these brakes hate sitting) to get it to the DMV office for inspection. I can't see a buyer having any problems registering this car if the title in hand matches the VIN on the car body. Doesn't make it right, but it's what it is, I guess.

I conversed with the seller and according to him, there is some manner of damage, possibly rust damage, in the rear wheel arches and trunk area and it all needs to be redone. He also stated that the tire lays flat in the trunk and he has recently taken up ownership of the car. Take all of that as you will as hearsay. I know none of this for fact, was only told.

The earlier overrides in the front and later ones in the back really messes with my OCD.

Last edited:

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
The auction has since been deleted by eBay, tho it remains on classiccars.com. The seller, viemel-99, also used the same apparently misleading text and pics in that listing with no mention of damage. Thanx for the further intel, Scotty.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Interesting that it has been deleted by eBay. I wonder if someone told them the VIN was wrong for the body. Does eBay do that?