• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Easier/cleaner to get the fast answer from the forum

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
1966 series V mostly stock
I about about to begin ( soon) my gearbox swap and was studying the procedures and a question came to mind.

In one of the steps in WSM ( as well as other places) it says: “ Disconnect petrol pipe at the pump inlet union.” I had assumed that doing this would gravity drain my fuel tank.

Question:
If I undo the fuel pipe at the pump, should I be prepared to catch fuel— plug the line or simply move on to the next step?
Thanks all
Andrew

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Andrew,

Depending on how you plan to do the gearbox swap and what fuel line you have, you may not need to disconnect the fuel line. When I did my series V gearbox swap, I did not disconnect the fuel line. I have the original black nylon fuel line. It is flexible and can tolerate some bending. My gearbox swap process was lowering the back of the engine to slide the gearbox off.

If you decide to disconnect the fuel line at the fuel pump, drain the gas tanks first. Siphon out what you can. Then each tank has a drain plug accessible via a hole in the rear fender. Or you can disconnect the fuel line at the crossover pipe. But you are disturbing a compression joint by doing that and would probably need to cut a little off the fuel line and move the ferrule before reconnecting the compression nut.

Mike

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
The gearbox swap is a straight forward out with a leaking 4sp synchro and in with a non-leaking 4sp synchro. I will inspect the clutch and the flywheel, but except for maybe the exhaust flange gasket, I hope to return everything back the way it was.Fingers crossed!

I ,too, have the black flexible fuel line. I see some clips to secure the fuel so I will open those clips to provide a bit more flexibility. So great— no messing with fuel. Wouldn’t most people have flexible fuel lines?

More gearbox pulling questions:
1) Still checking around today and I noticed that my clutch slave cylinder has a hard line. At first glance, It does not appear to be flexible and all the directions say to unbolt it and simply swing it out of the way. Will my hard line be able to move enough to clear?
2) on exhaust: To me it looks as if disconnecting behind the Y pipe will give me clearance enough to drop the gearbox. Am I not seeing something. If I disconnect at the manifold and back side of the Y pipe and pivot the pipe 180 degrees, do I need to move more exhaust out of the way?
3)when I disconnect the gearbox crossmember from the frame, the drive line and the braces connected to the engine block, will motor and gearbox naturally slope toward the rear of the car? I understand it will be supported beneath the engine sump with a jack. Will the motor mounts simply be flexing against the weight as I slowly lower the back of the motor and gearbox with a floor jack to a proper angle to slide the gearbox out?

I am a little intimidated but game!!!
Thanks for any and all advice!
Andrew
I am sure I will have more questions before I am back on the road. It bothers me to disable my car as it is running really good— kill it to save it ,I guess.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
In one of the steps in WSM ( as well as other places) it says: “ Disconnect petrol pipe at the pump inlet union.” I had assumed that doing this would gravity drain my fuel tank.

Andrew,

IIRC, sV was the first to use nylon fuel lines.

EDIT> FWIW, the Home page's tech section listing changes in production gives this info;

B395003169 – Nylon fuel pipe.

I'm fairly sure this is one of the places in the WSM's that wasn't updated as changes were made to the car and procedures.

In sI & II, the fuel line is metal and the tank top is the the bottom of the "boot" floor.

As to the Y pipe or flange - I think that's because as the engine tilts, the downpipes will swing forward and foul on the crossmember if left connected. You might have to do both, for clearance.

You will need to check that to be sure.

Just a couple of thoughts,

Last edited:

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
1966 series V mostly stock
I about about to begin ( soon) my gearbox swap and was studying the procedures and a question came to mind.

Question:
If I undo the fuel pipe at the pump, should I be prepared to catch fuel— plug the line or simply move on to the next step?
Thanks all
Andrew
use a golf tee as a plug for the fuel line! Ive used golf tees many times during my career as a firefighter!

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Clutch slave should hang ok and be moved out of the way.

I removed the Y exhaust pipe piece by rotating it 180 degrees to face down towards the ground and then slid it off. Don't know if you will have clearance if it is still in place.

I didn't loosen my engine mounts, but they were somewhat worn. I planned to replace them, so I didn't care if they became torn. If your engine mounts seem in good shape, you could try loosening their bolts and I think you might reduce the twisting forces on the rubber.

Mike

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hey Mike here are the pictures in question!

Attachments

• 0372F36E-1AE9-4EEF-BAAF-3819AF2BF235.jpeg
    0372F36E-1AE9-4EEF-BAAF-3819AF2BF235.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 84CD9451-8AD7-45BE-B312-AC909E1A8576.jpeg
    84CD9451-8AD7-45BE-B312-AC909E1A8576.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 31
  • BBAC0DA5-51F8-4654-B2DA-72C70182CE24.jpeg
    BBAC0DA5-51F8-4654-B2DA-72C70182CE24.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 31