• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Duraspark distributor question

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I 'm working on a 2.8 with a Duraspark ignition. The car runs but surges and when restarting
sounds like it's not timed correctly. No matter where I turn the dist it sounds the same. I replaced the ign
module, no change.

My question is under the cap. Under the rotor is a black gear that I'm guessing acts like points
would ( if it had them) making the spark at the right time. Is that gear (for the lack of the correct
name) supposed to be fixed to the shaft, or is it supposed to spin freely?

Thanks!
Steve

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Jim!

I thought it looked strange and thanks for the proper name.
I'm going to see if the pin is stuck to the magnet and try to put it back in
to see if this is my issue. ( I kinda already know it is!)

Next question, has anyone upgraded this distributor to something like a Pertronix
unit ( meaning whole distributor, not just an ignitor) or something perhaps more
durable? This is the second time the distributor has let us down.

Thanks again!
Steve

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Duraspark is much better than Pertronix. Look up Duraspark with GM 4 pin HEI module instead of the Ford control box. No resister or resister wire.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Aladin, Usually on the fenderwell by the radiator where there is a little breeze from the fan.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
That sounds great! But it seems that the Duraspark distributor has had issues, not anything else.
It seems to be a problem with build, or in the case of this distributor, rebuild quality. We purchased
this dizzy maybe two years ago. The first issue was the rotor. It totally blew apart while driving leaving the
car stranded. Now this pin holding the reluctor has dislodged, so I'm having issues with this distributor.
Are they available brand new? I'll do a search. This one was purchased through Rock Auto as a rebuilt
as I believe that was the only choice at the time.

I and the owner of the car are getting tired of working on this car and finding the issue to be in the dizzy.
That was my thought about going with a new dizzy from Pertonix.

You say Duraspark is better. Can you explain why?

Again, many thanks for all input! It's greatly appreciated!!
Cheers!
Steve

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Well, I pulled the dizzy this morning and the pin that holds the reluctor has basically disintegrated
leaving alot of metal shavings all over the magnet. The one piece I did find makes it look like it was a roll
pin.

I agree Dan, I like the duraspark system as it is pretty easy to hook up and use. We've just had issues with the quality
of the components.

I read the article and have questions about that too. It wasn't clear to me that the Duraspark ign module was
eliminated. If it is I can, and probably will do the GM conversion as it's much easier to find and much cheaper than
the Ford component.

Cheers!
Steve

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for the clarification. Next time the module takes a dump we'll replace it with that!
Thanks!!
Steve

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Jim,
Looks like a really good read!

Can you or anyone explain why Duraspark is superior to Pertronix?

Cheers!
Steve

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Factory reliability of reluctor and internal module. Chrysler and GM are good too. You just got a bad rebuild. The Fordsix site sells a rebadged Chryser external control. I think the GM HEI is better.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Jim!
I think I'll order another distributor tomorrow. I have a really good fastener warehouse near me that sells
just about everything. Thinking of taking the dizzy there to find a roll pin that'll fit. Maybe loctite it in
and see if that holds, or at least until the new dizzy arrives.

Any thoughts?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
As I understand the events, your problems are due to a shattered roll pin. Roll pins do not shatter for no reason. Something made it shatter and its replacement will shatter unless the cause of failure is found and corrected.

Bill

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Steve, I think the original distributor used a solid pin, not a roll pin. I'd only used the 77-79 Duraspark II with the 2.8. 75-76 Duraspark was a little different.

Last edited: