• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Drop spindles

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
One thing I rarely see mentioned along with the dropped spindles is the fact that changing the spindles changes the steering geometry.

Sure. the spindles bolt right on, but doing so screws up the bump steer geometry.

I would very much like to see the data (actual measurements of steering angles with the standard / drop spindles relative to suspension travel) to support that statement.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
I can post a chart of the before and after numbers of a project I did a while back but I'm not sure what would be gained.

You could not use the changes I made and expect the same result unless you did the exact things I did.

The project I worked on had SEVERAL changes that the usual car would not encounter.

Or put another way, there are many things that have the result of changing bump steer.

The project had several changes that compounded the errors. I don't have numbers with JUST the dropped spindle change.

I would also point out, the world of bumpsteer has degrees and directions (NO pun intended).

You can have a really BAD bumpsteer curve that has very little effect noticeably while driving.(usually toeing in)

And a much smaller error in the Bumpsteer curve that is quite noticeable while driving (usually toeing out)

AND then, there are driving conditions!

If you NEVER encounter a bump, horrendous bumpsteer is not a problem.

If you want to see, first hand, the result of BAD bumpsteer, swap the Steering arms

(from spindle to rack tie rod end) from side to side and then reset the toe to the same number.

Take the car for an eye Widening drive! Just be VERY careful on a dumpy or heavily cambered road!

What you are changing is the position of the tie rod end in relation to everything else.

You do the same thing (not to the same extent/direction) when you change to a dropped spindle.

It's not uncommon to also throw other parts into the changes, like a pair of MGB steering arms.

The MGB arms have their own change in bumpsteer, a whole other subject/thread.

Last edited:

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mark

I came across some old notes and apparently I took down the numbers off a set a few years ago...

"...17230B 1990442 on one of them and 17231B and 1990443 on the other..."

Hope that helps!! I think the visual of the 2 types is hard to mix them up though
Jim,

I just now noticed you added more info to my November post that included casting numbers. Sorry for the late thank you …. but …. Thank you!

As it turned out, the spindles I were not the elusive late Minx 'drops'.

Hope all is well for you north of the border.

Mark

BlackDog

Silver Level Sponsor
Mark... things are good where I live on the west coast... I live on Vancouver Island and we have no one sick at the moment and no new cases for going on 3 weeks!

Dan ( SPMDR) I would really like to see your chart! could you send to jim@island.net ?
BTW, I recently acquired yet another set of the 'dropped' spindles from a wrecking yard full of old ( mostly English ) cars and they had 3 of the correct donor cars ... one had a pair on it and the other 2 cars had only ONE correct spindle each ... both on the same side and I remembered you were looking for just one but 'believe it or not' I checked your request on the CAT forum and they were the WRONG side !! What are the odds!!
Spindles for sale are here... http://catmbr.org/VB_forum/showthread.php?t=6975