• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dreaded oil question.

oLD lIMEY

Donation Time
I am replacing my S3 none 1st synchromesh gearbox with a S5 unit. The S3 unit took 30W oil but the S5 unit I got had ( I think) gear oil in it my question what oil should I put in the S5 box? Thanks Tony.

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
Oil

Ah, the old oil debate will undoubtedly start up! Conventional wisdom says SAE 30. But I use 20W50 Mobil 1 synthetic and have done so for 20+ years in all my motors and gearboxes where sae 30 was called for. No failures or problems yet with some pretty hard use. Also, seems to flow better, last and stay cleaner longer.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I too miss him and his frequent very useful comments. I spoke to him back in Nov and he has sold his Matilda to someone who promised to take good care of her.

Tom