• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dove conversion

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
That would be a hell of a car to own. Not many of those around. The Triumph Club has a Dove registry and the keeper lives in Lexington, Kentucky. I've talked with him before and I believe he owns 2 of them. He was going to meet me at the Dayton Brit Car Day, but didn't show up. Look at the design... has Harrington written all over it.

65beam

Donation Time
harrington dove

one of these showed up at the show in pittsburgh a few years ago. he was unloading a few trailers up from us and i took a long look at it . really neat having two harrington conversions of different marques at the same show!

alpine_64

Donation Time
In one of the brit mags 2 months ago they had a S3 alger harrington and a dove 4gtr that had been tr5'd.. interesting hybrids.. there is a lot to be said for these conversions. I have to be honest and say i have never really liked the Sunbeam Harrington LM's (to much body work over the rear arches) but i do like the A, C and D type coversions.. and the dove conversion is really nice too. But the A type H is the bees kness to me... When Ians came up for sale a year ago I though about that instead of the Tiger... and that was before he had done all the work that has been done since!!

Harrington Jan

Donation Time
Hi,
Please let me correct a few things concerning the posts of Alpine_64.
1. “S3 alger Harringtonâ€. It’s not an alger, it’s a true Harrington Series D with a V8.
2. “dove 4gtrâ€. The correct name is Dove’ GTR4 or 4A
3. “ Not stricktly Harrington, but interesting†It is a Harrington conversion as much as the Alpine conversions
4. Which are called Series C and D. No A or B exist. Once and for all. End of discussion!
More to say is that the Dove’ were made in approx. 50-60 copies, just less than five TR4A were converted and no TR5’s or 250’s.

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
Jan is actually very correct here. The terms Type A, Type B etc, were never really used. They were Harrington Alpine, LeMans, Series 'C' and Series 'D'.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi,
Please let me correct a few things concerning the posts of Alpine_64.
1. “S3 alger Harringtonâ€. It’s not an alger, it’s a true Harrington Series D with a V8.
2. “dove 4gtrâ€. The correct name is Dove’ GTR4 or 4A
3. “ Not stricktly Harrington, but interesting†It is a Harrington conversion as much as the Alpine conversions
4. Which are called Series C and D. No A or B exist. Once and for all. End of discussion!
More to say is that the Dove’ were made in approx. 50-60 copies, just less than five TR4A were converted and no TR5’s or 250’s.

jan, i'm glad that you are on the ball about the correctness, however:

1. The car in the article is an Alger.. its an alpine that has been converted to a tiger.. doesnt matter if it was an original harrigton car or not.. the car now runs tiger motor, suspension, tunnel box rear etc.. i was not questioning its harrington history.. just saying it was not a tiger.

2. Sorry i got the doves model name wrong.. (my bad)

3. I was saying “ Not stricktly Harrington, but interesting†as this is a section for harrington sunbeams (i assume) and i was pointing out that i know its not a sunbeam or technicaly a harrington conversion as it was done after they were bought out but has close links, just didnt want people saying its not sunbeam or harrington.

4. I did say "A type harrington" when you are right its just a "harrington" but I did not say "B type"

I'm happy to be corrected.. (re points 2 and 4) but please correct what i said.

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
Now I said my A.B.C's... Oh sorry, I couldn't resist.

FYI: Dove' is pronounced like Dovay and not like the bird.