• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Door design question

jmthehermit

Donation Time
In reading nickraymonds need for doors for an early series IV, Jim Stone asked if there was a difference between them. I posted the reply that explained the position of the window cranks two locations for early and late styles. Then I remembered I had a couple of doors in the garage. So I got a few pics of the later style crank location. What I did find was another anomoly. If you look at the bare metal door which happens to be a nos replacement I bought back in 1974 and compare it to the green one next to it, check the holes for the door panel clips. The depth of the nos door area where the panel clips go is deeper and has risers to compensate for the extended depth. The green door is definitely Series V because of the nylon receivers for the door panel clip. Plus the car it came off of had the optional three white stripes on it. Has anyone come across this type of door before? Any reason for the added depth? I'll get pics of my other pair of doors for my tiger for further comparison Wednesday night. Jeff

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

When Rootes went to the series V body type, didn't they change the inner door trim? This would account for the different depth between the previous door to the later one. As you said the position of the winder was changed to allow for better operation by memory.

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I am quite sure that the S3-V's has the same door trims for the ST models. I think the difference might be for the GT cars. They had a differemt door trim panel. the Gt's are slightly thicker as it has the metal bracing at the edges and the pleating. The GT doors also required another chromed bracket at the point of the latch mechanism that clips up over the door panel because of the extra depth.

If someone has a copy of the BON i think it goes into some detail about changes in doors between the MKI (SIV style body) and MKIA (SV style body)

mikephillips

Donation Time
Yep, the door with the holes extended out are for a GT with the cap on the inner panel. The one without is for the standard ST.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Jeff, for the answer to my original question and for getting lots of additional information.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
No problem Jim, I got some info overload too. When I went to check my other doors last night I found one was green and the other red. The car was factory white. Seems the DPO was a bit hard on the car but did replace them with the proper parts prior to me buying the car in May, 1969. I also found proof of me being a parts collector of long standing. Enclosed is a pic of a receipt from SKI BROS. INC Coopersburg, PA for a Tiger rear end purchased 7/17/69 for a total of $68.90. And yes I still have it tucked away.:eek::D Jeff