• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Don’t change 1725 Oil… when hot?

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I was going around the internet reading various bits and came across this rundown: http://classiccarsforsale.squarespace.com/reviews/classic-sunbeam-reviews-alpine

While well-written, this is the part that concerns me:

“The most likely cause of problems with the 1725 engine fitted to the Series V is using an incorrect procedure for changing the oil and filter. Whatever you do, don’t change the oil while hot or remove the oil filter when the sump is empty as this will allow the remote oil pump to drain, leading to seized big end bearings.”

How true or accurate is this? I changed my oil two years ago hot and the 1725 so far *knocks on wood* is doing fine.

Last edited:

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
I've always changed my oil when hot, and have found the 1725 (and 1592) to be as reliable as any 70's Toyota (that I know of), albeit, not engines you can ignore popping the hood and topping the oil off with every fill up, but that's a small price to pay (and part of the experience) for the style, comfort, handling, and aesthetics of the much more refined Alpine.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I think they are implying that changing the filter when all the oil is fully drained could lead to a start where there insnt oil instantly in the system as the new filter will be empty.

Some on the forum have discussed pre filling the filters...but overall.. Changing the oil when hot is standard procedure.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
To reduce the time it takes to get oil pressure, I don't recommend using the large spin-on, V8 oil filter that I have seen on many owner's Alpines. The smaller Purolator L10241 (1991-2002 Saturn) works great and I have been using them for over 20 years now.
I see NO mention of the anti-siphoning valve (small ball & spring) inside the timing chain oiler? Most of my engine rebuilds have it missing. That one-way valve helps keep the oil gallery full of oil.
Also on the early oil filter canister, make sure the upper spring & sealing washer is installed over the filter element. Otherwise, the oil won't go through the filter
Jan

Last edited:

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
Well, we were always told to drain oil hot to ensure that the suspended contaminants didn't have time to settle to the bottom and were flushed out. So it didn't have so much to do with hot versus cold but to ensure that the oil was still freshly agitated.
Also, we were told to pull the coil wire and cold crank the motor for a bit to get oil up into the gallies to avoid a dry start.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I have always drained our Alpines (since 1983) when hot and have never had any problem because of this. It makes total sense to do this, unfortunately there is a lot of mis-information on The Internet.
Tim R