• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Distributor Cap Question

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
SV is still hard starting. I read another thread on rotors and wondered about mine. The posted video on The Alpine Channel got me thinking about mine.
It is a Pertronix distributor about 10 years old but operationally it has less than 100 hours, probably a lot less than that. Cap and rotor are Pertronix parts and came with the unit. Should have photographed the rotor, can if needed.
The photos are of the cap contacts. The rotor looked okay but cleaned it anyway.
Do these look right?
Thank you for any thoughts.

Attachments

• Distributor.jpg
    Distributor.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20230112_194930310.jpg
    PXL_20230112_194930310.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 53

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
It is the size of the gap between rotor tip and electrode that can cause problems and has done so in the UK. I don't know about Pertronix but some of the pattern parts are produced without much care for tolerances. If the gap is too large between rotor tip and cap electrode the spark at the plug is small. This then leads to harder starting. There can be numerous other reasons though. For example what does voltage drop to when the starter is spinning? Are the earth (grounds) in the circuit good and corrosion free?
Tim R

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Looks like carbon deposits on the contact points - I would clean that off. Pertronix sells replacement caps and rotors - not too badly priced. Since they still make new production distributors, I would hope they are good quality and with the correct fit/gaps. I'm running one of those distributors as well. I haven't checked the rotor or cap lately, so can't say for sure if it's clean or has deposits. I have no starting problems. Advanced timing can cause hard starting. Are you running the vacuum advance? If yes, manifold or ported? Manifold is working well for me. You can back off on the initial timing and still get a good idle with the vacuum advance connected.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
My vacuum advance is taken off the carb. (Weber). I'll see about new cap and rotor from P. I think I have the static advance set close to TDC, maybe a couple of degrees before that. It looks like the dampener is slipping so I have to go by manifold pressure and Mark IIIa ear. Can has never idled well.
Thank you for your help!

Acollin

Donation Time
You ask if this ( your pics) look all right.
I do not have experience with your electronic ignition , but in picture #2 , it looks like a small chip has broken loose from the inside of the cap near the contact. It could be the angle or the lighting — or not a chip at all—and not sure this would effect your hard starting , but if a chip has broken free, there might be a crack.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for the review! I checked and it appears to be machining. I don't think the cap is a problem or the rotor but think I will replace both and go through everything again.