• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Different Tiger Tachs

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
I’ve noticed that some Tiger tachometers advertised for sale on eBay redline at 5000 RPM while others redline at 7000 RPM. Are there two different tachs for the Tiger?

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Well, ...."are there two different Tiger tachs? "

At least.

As far as I know, the MK 2 tach has a different Face than the MK 1 or MK 1A.

And then you get into LAT STUFF....

....that SOME call Stock....

DW

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, ...."are there two different Tiger tachs? "

At least.

As far as I know, the MK 2 tach has a different Face than the MK 1 or MK 1A.

And then you get into LAT STUFF....

....that SOME call Stock....

DW

Thanks Dan. Which Tigers were fitted with the 5K redline and which were fitted with the 7K redline at the factory?

Rick

Jimm

Gold Level Sponsor
That 7000 RPM tach is a Series V Alpine tach modified for 8 cyl use. It looks to me like the face of the tach has the "8 Cyl" glued on

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rick,

Just a FYI,the engine redline is the start of the red segment. :rolleyes: Who believes in redlines anyway.

The first tach is ( I think - paralax ) 4700 and the second is 5900 RPM.

That makes sense as the second unit matches the numbers on my sV tach and may have a sticker or photoshop over the 4 CYL marking.

Hope this helps,

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Notice the two different fonts used on the two tachs. The one with the lower redline was used on MK1 and 1A Tigers.
MK2 Tigers used the other font as shown on the 7000 RPM tach which is not an original one. As stated the owner of it put the 8 cyl sticker on a S5 Alpine tach.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Are you looking for a stock or a look alike for a personalized or modified car with big HP?
I'll get out and snap a few pictures of the early one for you.

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Are you looking for a stock or a look alike for a personalized or modified car with big HP?
I'll get out and snap a few pictures of the early one for you.

Not looking for one Warren. Mine is correct for my Mark 1A. I just noticed these two listed for Tigers with 2 different redlines and wondered why. The explanations above have cleared up the issue. Thanks.
Rick