• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

David Kellogg's Harrington Alpine

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The REAL problem is the glue. Will it hold up to the heat? Everything out there (contact cements on the market) cannot withstand the high temps and lets go.
Jan

alpine_64

Donation Time
The sound issue would be a large one in the harrington as the boot area is open all the way through.. Same as why a hatch back os louder than a sedan.

As for heat, i habe heard many people mention how thin the H tops are anf how thry are basically translucent unpainted... A modern thermal insulator would surely help a bit.

65beam

Donation Time
The sound issue would be a large one in the harrington as the boot area is open all the way through.. Same as why a hatch back os louder than a sedan.

As for heat, i habe heard many people mention how thin the H tops are anf how thry are basically translucent unpainted... A modern thermal insulator would surely help a bit.
The noise from the engine and drive train of a LeMans is a joy to behold. Music to the ears. That's why I didn't install the radio in the RHD car.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The noise from the engine and drive train of a LeMans is a joy to behold. Music to the ears. That's why I didn't install the radio in the RHD car.

You have a rear engined sunbeam.... Per my comments about hatch backs. Its the road noise, diff, reverberation of the open space behind.

If you want good engine noise.. Add dcoe induction and a good cam.

65beam

Donation Time
You have a rear engined sunbeam.... Per my comments about hatch backs. Its the road noise, diff, reverberation of the open space behind.

If you want good engine noise.. Add dcoe induction and a good cam.
As you age you'll find it a pleasure to be able to hear that noise. Reminds you of when you could hear everything. Almost as good as waking up in the morning and you're looking down at the grass. As far as the other sounds it seems you're not aware of what I have in my collection and I no longer have any rear engine cars. I sold my Fiat and VW several years back.

alpine_64

Donation Time
As you age you'll find it a pleasure to be able to hear that noise. Reminds you of when you could hear everything. Almost as good as waking up in the morning and you're looking down at the grass. As far as the other sounds it seems you're not aware of what I have in my collection and I no longer have any rear engine cars. I sold my Fiat and VW servers years back.
Id say i think you missed the point...but do think you were trying to get it.... As usual this started as a discussion about a technical/parts thing... And as usual was made about someone... :rolleyes:

65beam

Donation Time
Mike, I just stated the facts. My three cars were built in 1962 so why try to make modern cars out of them? They are what they are. OLBC's

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
Three Alpines.~Did you rebuild them yourself?
Limey,
If you're talking to me I have more than three cars. I use the sources available to me to restore my cars. The bodies of the series 4 and the series 5 were restored by Tiger Auto in Dayton. The 69 GT, the red Harrington and the white Harrington had paint and body work done by a local shop that builds street rods. Doug @ Tiger Auto has set the panel gaps ,etc on all the cars. Interiors with the exception of the blue series 5 have been done by a local shop that has had his work shown at SEMA. The series 5 is an interior by Proprep. Mechanical work such as engines and transmissions has been done by local shops, Tiger Auto, Tiger Tom and others. I gather up the parts and the wife and I along with a 33 year old assemble the car. I've been driving the green car since 1968. Photos of some of our cars. We have the third Harrington body ready to go to the dipper and I also have another series 4 stored in Tenn. 100_0545.JPG

Attachments

• 107_1000.JPG
    107_1000.JPG
    534.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_0192.JPG
    100_0192.JPG
    438 KB · Views: 18
  • 105_0010.JPG
    105_0010.JPG
    452.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 110_0724.JPG
    110_0724.JPG
    422.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Excellent jobs on your cars without any doubt. All you miss would be an early Series and a Harrington Alpine ;-)

P.S. Proprep apparently is good for interiors...

65beam

Donation Time
Excellent jobs on your cars without any doubt. All you miss would be an early Series and a Harrington Alpine ;-)

P.S. Proprep apparently is good for interiors...
I had two series 1 and several series 2 and two series 3. After the flood of 97 we decided to part them. I've sold quite a bit of the remains. I have photos of the restoration of a Harrington Alpine and I prefer the LeMans.