• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dash Indicator Lights

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
The '67 SV project is coming together and we're getting to the dash. I need the red ignition warning light. SS and CS say NLA, are they available anyplace? If not, any ideas for replacements that fit the holes and look right?

Second question....The lens in the turn signal and hi beam light seem to roll up and down...Are they worn out or broke or was there a reason for the lenses to move like originally? Nobody here has an Alpine to look at, we're kinda flyin blind...on LOTS of issues.....LOL I'm glad ya'll and the forum are here. It's been loads of help.

agmason54

Donation Time
Marty
Yo. The highbeams and turn signal indicator are supposed to do that for day and night driving. Cool huh? I owe you some shades so send me your address and I will give you a red ignition indicator.
You are worthy..
Later
RedCartheWhiteGuy
Slick Al the Lemon Pusher
My nick name is 'Al'

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Right you are, "Slick Al" :p

The interior of the Alpine's cockpit was actually designed by a guy who had at one time designed cockpits for aircraft, so ergonomics were very important to him. That's why the Alpine has so many unique features which were, at the time, very innovative.... things like seats that can be adjusted for height as well as rake and distance as well as padding in the front edges of the seats to provide support for the thighs. They also had, as you've discovered, dim-able indicator lamps. In addition, the instruments were designed such that they that are made to point vertically when proper status is achieved so that one can tell at a glance if all is OK - even to the point that at 60 mph the speedometer and tachometer are supposed to be pointing at the 12-o-clock position as well. The Alpine also had an adjustable steering column which was at the time only found in very expensive sports cars like the Austin-Healey and Jaguar... all the contemporary competitors like Triumph and MG had columns which were non-adjustable. Likewise, the Alpine had an arm-rest and central cubby, again, only found on more expensive sports cars and not on the competitors.

Now as to your ignition indicator, you'll probably find it is a bit faded if you get a used one. Most all of them are. Originally they were a nice deep red, but sunshine makes them go pink. There's a trick to restoring that red colour... you can *very* carefully pry open the chrome cover and remove the red plastic insert and simply turn it back-to-front, and the bright red inside plastic will now be the front of the lens. Then simply reinstall the chrome cover.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Another 2 options on the ingtion warning light, you can use red ink to re-dye the lens, or If you are not 100% concerned about originality, there are many new repro round red warning lights available in both faceted and smooth that were comon to other brit cars and will fit.

agmason54

Donation Time
Kevin,
I just had to try your trick. It works perfectly. I have never seen a prettier idiot light.It looks new and I only used a knife and the edge of the table.
Marty
Kevin is a genius but don't tell anybody.
Later

Agm
agmason54@hotmail.com

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Very, very far from 'genius', Al. But thanks for the kudos and I'm glad you liked the trick!

Bikesandfires

Donation Time
Guys, Thanks for the help and pointers.

Al, I'll e-mail you in a little while when I get to the office. For some reason Hotmail will not send from this computer.
Marty

Nickodell

Donation Time
Right you are, "Slick Al" :p

The interior of the Alpine's cockpit was actually designed by a guy who had at one time designed cockpits for aircraft, so ergonomics were very important to him. That's why the Alpine has so many unique features which were, at the time, very innovative.... things like seats that can be adjusted for height as well as rake and distance as well as padding in the front edges of the seats to provide support for the thighs. They also had, as you've discovered, dim-able indicator lamps. In addition, the instruments were designed such that they that are made to point vertically when proper status is achieved so that one can tell at a glance if all is OK - even to the point that at 60 mph the speedometer and tachometer are supposed to be pointing at the 12-o-clock position as well. The Alpine also had an adjustable steering column which was at the time only found in very expensive sports cars like the Austin-Healey and Jaguar... all the contemporary competitors like Triumph and MG had columns which were non-adjustable. Likewise, the Alpine had an arm-rest and central cubby, again, only found on more expensive sports cars and not on the competitors.

That was all fascinating and informative reading! (My only quibble: I prefer my fuel gauge to be slumped all the way to the right :) )

mattinoz

Donation Time
Yeah that's a beauty, I've employed that trick a couple of times in the past myself, although I needed to do some minor adjustment to the body to accept the inverted lens as the two locating tits on each side of the lens are not symmetrical. Rather they are half round IIRC so needed to hollow out the locating points to allow the chrome cap to sit right.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
That was all fascinating and informative reading! (My only quibble: I prefer my fuel gauge to be slumped all the way to the right :) )

Yeah, it actually all works out kinda nice with 1/2 tank of gas at 12 noon/midnight... everything points straight up at 60 mph.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Trick with the Indicator Lights !!

Kevin,

I just read this thread about the Indicator Lights and "Your Trick" I tried it just now and I have a "NEW" Indicator for my new handmade walnut dash.:D:D

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Crikey. I'm gobsmacked that more of the old timers (Matt excepted) around here didn't know that trick. I must have heard about it 30 years ago! Just one of many bits of (useless) info crammed into my noggin after playing with these itsy-bitsy cars over the years.

Perhaps I should have kept mum and sold it as a service! ;)

alpine_64

Donation Time
Crikey. I'm gobsmacked that more of the old timers (Matt excepted) around here didn't know that trick. I must have heard about it 30 years ago! Just one of many bits of (useless) info crammed into my noggin after playing with these itsy-bitsy cars over the years.

Perhaps I should have kept mum and sold it as a service! ;)

Do you have a solution for when the back becomes faded? :eek:

makes me wish i had grabbed the faded ones i had seen a while back..

65beam

Donation Time
lights

michael,
after both sides are faded you buy new ones from old guys like me that bought a large box of new ones many years ago.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Do you have a solution for when the back becomes faded? :eek:

makes me wish i had grabbed the faded ones i had seen a while back..

As Al notes, you can buy a new one (or two!) and store it away in a dark, dry place. Having said that, it takes about 20 years in the sunshine to fade, so I think you're good for a while now. :)

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Here is another trick. I believe the blue high beam and green turn signal lenses were originally rotated UP for the bright mode and down for the darker mode. Over time they lose their ability to stay up. Since I prefer the bright mode, I flipped the holders upside down, so that they stay in the bright mode.