• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dallas All British Car Day

Lester

Donation Time
Anyone going? I will try to make it, possibly with the alpine...
To my knowledge, there is no such show in Oklahoma City.
-Lester

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
OKC British show Yes they have one!

They at least used to have one here is the old link: http://www.santiagosc.com/Oklahoma All British Main.htm
I have never made it down the pike to the show, maybe I need to fire up Vicki this year and attempt such a thing, I know she can make it halfway there down the old route 66, accomplished that this fall with the MG club. Try and do a search for this years event on the web see what I can find.

Donna
:D

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
I'm shooting for bringing either my Tiger or my Alpine. Steve Kirk, do you know if they have a class for competition cars? I didn't see one listed on their website so maybe the comp cars just show with their respective make class.

OKC does actually have a "European" car show every year. However, it is put on by the Porsche club and, quite frankly, if you don't have a Porsche, you're treated like a red-headed stepchild. After doing their show two years in a row ('04 & '05), I opted out of the '06 event. From what I heard, it was still mainly a Porsche event with everyone else invited just for filler. Just as a example of what I mean about the bias, even though I showed and placed in my class in the last two events they had, I never received an invitation/announcement for last year's show. Turns out that the Porsche folks relied on word-of-mouth advertising for all the other clubs except theirs. Go figure...

I've been working on the old hosts, Rocky Santiago and Nathan York, trying to get them to sponsor another show. They have an absolute perfect venue for a show right at their place of business. If we get anywhere on this, I'll make sure to let everyone on the Sunbeam forum know.

Thanks,
Andy Walker

S

Steve Kirk

Andy,
I do not believe there is a competition class. All Sunbeams would fall under the Rootes class. This is a show where each entrant is given a judging form to pick his favourite for for each of the classes. If enough people show up and bring Sunbeams I could try to talk the owners into a Sunbeam class.

Steve

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Keep Us Posted

If you organize an event some will come, sometimes!
Andy keep us posted if the British gang in OKC try and muster up an event!
Just when I got ole Vicki up and running and the courage to make the trip the OKC bunch fold and take their tents home. Nephew in Enid has made contact with the OKC Austin Healy club, they are being supper nice to this young buck at 16 trying to bring back that bug-eyed sprite that was parked in the field next to Vicki. I am a proud Aunt that hopes he gets R done!
I will mark the calendar for the Dallas event, but we will be driving one of the new toys, poor old Vicki would never make the trip, OK the driver would never survive the trip, no top, no overdrive, misery!
Hey Andy any extra room in the sweet car hauler of yours? Ya that’s the ticket!
The Jaguar club here used to have the "British Show" in the fall, not this year! see website:
http://www.jcna.com/php/clubdisplay.php?club=sc30#events
The other car show is in the Ozarks See Website:
http://gobmc.org/events.html

Donna

Lester

Donation Time
It's too bad we don't have a stronger presence here in Okc. I'd love any updates on those local shows. So, Tulsa, are you bringing the Saturn? Those look incredibly fun to drive. And Andy, I am looking forward to seeing your fleet. I was hoping to have my brakes done by now, but this ice! I don't have a garage! We'll get together soon I hope. Do any of these shows, especially the one in Dallas, welcome works in progress? If my car makes it, and that's a big IF... It won't be winning any beauty contests as of yet.
-Lester

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Works-in-progress

Lester:

Frankly, I enjoy seeing works-in-progress. It's great fun to meet a new owner with a car that needs some TLC who is interested in putting it back to it's former glory. Usually, they are the most enthusiastic of the bunch! I've been where you are numerous times with both Alpines and Tigers (and Mustangs) and I know a great deal about the issues you'll be faced with. Seeing these types of cars also helps owners of completed cars to stay in touch with their roots (Rootes??), so to speak. So, by all means, please do bring it out to the Dallas show if you can, or to any show we may have in OKC. And, please don't be discouraged when you hear (and you will...) someone say, "what the heck is he thinking, bringing a car like that to a show?" You can safely chalk that type of comment up to the "they just don't get it yet" catagory. I've always considered the car hobby and car restoration in general as sort of like an inside joke; you either get it or you don't. Those who don't are unable to look past the patina and see a gleaming jewel of a car and, frankly, I feel rather sorry for someone like that who obviously lacks automotive imagination and enthusiasm. On the other hand, those who do get it will know exactly why you're there with your project car and those same people will be the ones who will encourage you during the project and congratulate you and revel in your car when it's completed. That, my friend, makes your restoration journey worth it.

Keep in touch

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Dallas Car Show

Lester,
Keep you posted on car shows this spring in Tulsa, maybe you can find the time to make the trip to T-town
Hey Andy when is the next Hallet event, April 1st again??
Lester you should try and make that event, so much fun just watching all the old cars on the track.
The first time I made the Dallas show I met Steve, and Wayne. Now Steve's car is really nice, but yea I get "it" Wayne's is orginal and it made the show, sniff, sniff is that gas pouring out of the carb? I still had a great time and I hope to see Wayne's Alpine with a little more improvements in the future. So Lester yes you can bring your work in progress at least the Sunbeam crowd is OK with it.
I almost forgot the Kansas show, here is last years website: http://kcallbritish.tripod.com/index.html

Here is the website for the Hallet track: http://www.hallettracing.net/

Donna

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Hallett Vintage Races

To answer your question, Donna, the Hallett Spring Vintage Races are being held on March 30 - April 1, 2007. Those of you who either live in Oklahoma or are in the general area (Steve Kirk...) really should come to the races. They are a heck of a lot of fun and it's a great venue to see some hard-to-find cars doing what they do best. As Donna may know, I blew up my Alpine at the Hallett Fall Vintage Races in October of '05 during practice on Friday. Since I was going to have to rebuild the motor anyway, I took the opportunity to go completely through the car from front to back, making sure that the car conformed to the rules as well as making it look nice. I only have a few things left to do to it and, barring any unknown problems, I plan to be competing at Hallett this spring. So, come out and support a fellow Sunbeamer as he tries out his "new" car for the first time!!!!!

By the way, Donna...do you know whether or not Steve Cleveland in Tulsa has his competition Alpine running yet?

I have attempted to include a pic of my Alpine taken at Hallett in the fall of
'05 approaching turn #4. This pic was probably taken a lap or two before she went "kaboom." (I guess you have to click on the attachment to see it...)

Later,

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Race Cars

:)
Andy,
I have not heard from Steve Cleveland, he stopped coming to BackYard last fall, I have his phone number somewhere and e-mail I will try and get in touch with him, let you know!
Yes I will plan on being there and scream as you take the hairpin curve! This will be on Saturday so try and take it easy on Friday, OK LOL :D

Donna

S

Steve Kirk

I sometimes find unrestored work in progress cars more interesting than restored ones. I would say if you can get your car to a show go for it sometimes half of the fun is just getting there.

I would like to take my series 5 to one show this year unliky to be an early year event and this car will not win any shows.

Lester

Donation Time
thanks all. I will do my best to be at all of these, hopefully with my car.
I've never been on the road with it, much less the highway! I might a new floor first...don't want to drop the driver going 65.