• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Crown gear shim

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
The rear end in my Series II has been whining so I removed the flange nut. In doing so I noted it was very easy to remove, meaning it was loose. Long story short, there are 3 shims behind the outer bearing, one thicker than a half dollar and 2 very thin. On inspection all bearing and gears look great, all the tab washers/bolts are tight and do not look to have been removed. Is it reasonable to re-assemble this unit, replacing the outer seal,torque to specs and have a good chance of being w/in tolerances? Since it is apart, replace all bearings and seals?Also, are hardened axle keys easily available?
Thanks for your thoughts