• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cracked heads

dmich2

Donation Time
OK. I've heard for years about 2.8's and their susceptibility to cracked heads. I purchased a complete engine years ago that I have in storage and was wondering just how difficult it is to determine if I have any cracks in the one I have. Can it only be done by a machine shop?

Thanks,
Dennis

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
There's another method shown on the Wheeler Dealer "Sunbeam Alpine" episode. Pretty easy with standard equipment. But I've never done either method, so I defer to the experts on how trustworth either method is.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Ken,

I too defer to the Experts.... My machine Guys are pretty good, proven over the last 35 or so years on my stuff.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
OK. I've heard for years about 2.8's and their susceptibility to cracked heads. I purchased a complete engine years ago that I have in storage and was wondering just how difficult it is to determine if I have any cracks in the one I have. Can it only be done by a machine shop?

Thanks,
Dennis

It's common enough to make the assumption that both heads are cracked until proven otherwise. A lesson I learned the hard way. Pulling the heads and bringing them to a reputable shop to have them checked is easy enough and inexpensive enough that it should be a normal procedure on these old 2.8's. Besides just cracks, it'll also let you know the overall condition of the head and valve train.

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
When my V6 was prepped, the tuning shop tore it down to the bare block and magnafluxed everything not to be replaced. Block , heads, pistons , rods all passed. After the heads were milled, all small parts were replaced.