• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cracked Dovetail - is there a means of repair?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a dovetail that has a very minor crack of the upper portion that I am wondering if there is any such thing as making a repair?

Curious as to the type of metal also. Doesn't seem like pot metal.

Attachments

• Dovetail with small crack   20230320_184053.jpg
    Dovetail with small crack 20230320_184053.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Dovetail with small crack   20230320_184208.jpg
    Dovetail with small crack 20230320_184208.jpg
    597.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Dovetail with small crack   20230320_184141.jpg
    Dovetail with small crack 20230320_184141.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 23

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for the tip Jeff....I thought it was a bit too heavy for pot metal

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Not sure if it's pot metal, but it is a casting. Never seen them being repaired, but they do
crack like that, and that's not too bad. Maybe put some epoxy on the back to try and prevent it
getting worse?

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Drill a small hole at the end of the crack. this will prevent further cracking for now. I would suggest a 'V" channel filed along the crack and then soldered or silver soldered. will be less heat than braising, so might preserve the chrome.
Cheers, Bob

PawPaw

Silver Level Sponsor
Dan, there is a product called Muggy Weld. It's for repairing pot metal. I plan on ordering a kit in near future. I need repairs on the window post on my series 1.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Unfortunately the driver's side ones always seem to crack or completely break off. Due to the higher use in opening and closing I expect over the years than a passenger side one. So l/h side, facing forward on lhd cars and r/h side on rhd. Probably the only real fix would be if a supplier made them out of a tougher material.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The right way to repair a structural brass casting is by brass welding, not by low strength soldering. My preference would be TIG welding with 100% Argon and a brass filler rod, but a small oxy-acetylene torch would work. No matter the heat source (or filler), cleaning and fluxing is critical for brass.

Chrome plating cannot be soldered, brazed or welded so it has to be removed in the area of a thermal repair.