• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cover to Block off old Mechanical Fuel Pump

woodybap

Silver Level Sponsor
When my mechanical fuel pump died, I replaced it with an electric pump. The mechanical pump is still mounted to the 1725 but the inlet and outlet fittings are blocked off. I recall reading that it is advisable to remove the mechanical pump altogether and cover the hole. Does anyone have a suggestion on a cover and gasket that would fit?

loose_electron

Donation Time
I suspect others will have better answers, but this may require a little metalwork for a custom fabrication. It would not surprise me if someone on here doesn't already have something available.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
If you make a plate up, make sure that you use a gasket and that the plate is thick enough of you will have leaks of oil fumes.

Tim R

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
This may be one of my dumber ideas, but I have often thought about keeping the pump installed as a back-up system by filling it with some sort of very low viscosity lubricating fluid and then just running a hose from the outlet to the inlet. That way it would still be there if the electronic pump died on the road.

woodybap

Silver Level Sponsor
This may be one of my dumber ideas, but I have often thought about keeping the pump installed as a back-up system by filling it with some sort of very low viscosity lubricating fluid and then just running a hose from the outlet to the inlet. That way it would still be there if the electronic pump died on the road.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I needed to install the electric pump because the mechanical one failed.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
IPD, a Volvo parts distributor sells a block off plate for the 1800/2000 cc engine . However, I do not know if it will bolt to the Alpine engine.
If yo make one use at least 1/8th plate and a gasket.

65beam

Donation Time
Jim,
There is supposed to be a gasket that appears to be something like a thin rubber that slides over the fuel pump arm and stops oil from getting into the base of the fuel pump. It's the same shape as the other gaskets except for having a slot cut to allow the lever to move. Since there isn't oil being pumped into the fuel pump the amount going into the fuel pump would only be from a splash effect. That would amount to almost nothing. You could block the inlet and outlet of the standard pump if you're worried about oil getting thru the fuel pump. I have a 1725 with Zeniths that has fuel supplied by a Purolator electric facet pump with a max of 3 PSI, no pressure regulator and I didn't bother to block the in and out of the original pump which is still on the engine.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks, Bob. And, sorry that isn't an option Woody.

Bob: The only reason I was thinking about a thin lubricant was to keep the diaphragm soft. I assumed gas serves some purpose like that and thought it might dry out constantly pumping dry. My only thinking was to keep something in there so it would be ready to go if ever needed in an emergency.

65beam

Donation Time
Thanks, Bob. And, sorry that isn't an option Woody.

Bob: The only reason I was thinking about a thin lubricant was to keep the diaphragm soft. I assumed gas serves some purpose like that and thought it might dry out constantly pumping dry. My only thinking was to keep something in there so it would be ready to go if ever needed in an emergency.
Jim,
I can see your point. You might want to use a thin layer of grease on it instead of using an oil. The thickener in the grease will contain the lubricating oil and the oil will not run off. The big box parts stores carry various small packs of grease so check out to see what they carry. These grease packages are smaller than a ketchup pack at McDonalds.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Woody, while you can scribe the shape and cut a blanking plate, iirc some of the early rootes blocks have a block off plate on the rear where a different use (think agricultural).

You could put an add in the wanted section to see if someone has a junk block you could get it off.
I think that's where i got mine when i went to an electric pump when i switched to dcoe's.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
I made mine out of aluminum stock, 1/8 inch would work nice, glued a standard gasket to it for the pattern. Using the very basic tools, hack saw, file, and sandpaper, I rough cut with a hacksaw, drilled the holes, filed and sanded, then polished the aluminum. I thought it came out pretty well, but maybe Gordon can chime in here, and maybe attach a photo. Maybe a couple hours of work by hand.
Gordon, how did that one work out for you?