• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Converting SII A-arms to later series...

Ktapply

Donation Time
Could you please offer your opinion/judgement on the topic of converting the old style A-arms to the later series style? I am restoring a 62 SII and the A-arms need to be rebuilt. Apparently the bushings for the older series are not readily available. What is involved in swapping out to the later series type?

mikephillips

Donation Time
You can't convert the actual arms from one style to another, the ball joint mounting is completely different. You can however replace them with the later style I believe. The LeMans Tigers used the earlier uppers on a later crossmember so the opposite should work as well. All you'd need to do is find a later set.

socorob

Donation Time
I would think you would have to replace both a arms and the spindle, but do all the mounting holes for everything line up?

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
I would think that the easy way would just replace the whole crossmember use a S4 or 5 and go to the better brakes and rotors, if you call that better but easier to get stuff for! I know that the bolt pattern for all crossmembers are the same!:cool:

Ktapply

Donation Time
Either way its expensive....

And I may be over-doing this.. I want to restore this car to a reasonable original condition. The cost to refit the original bushings is $1300. That includes that. Parts coming from Holland and the labor to recondition the A-arms. Apparently The Dutchman is the only source for these and he machines these bushings to original spec. $700 is for the materials coming from Holland. The balance is to press fit the bushings and replace the pins. I understand that with rarity comes cost... But this seems al lot to me.... Buying a new SV crossmember that still needs to be renewed is likely to be even more expensive. Any other suggestions.

65beam

Donation Time
a arms

the last late model cross member i bought cost me 200.00. bushings and upper and lower ball joints cost roughly 300.00. upper and lower fulcrum pins are usually ok to reuse but a shop here in ohio has new ones. it cost me about 100.00 to have everything dipped, repaired and then painted. so now you're at 600.00 plus labor. you also have fewer parts and a much better suspension. i have all the parts to rebuild an early crossmember but the RHD harrington now has a late crossmember and i'm having another rebuilt to replace the crossmember under my red harrington.

Ktapply

Donation Time
Why a better suspension?

Why is the later suspension better than the earlier one? I appreciate the advice

65beam

Donation Time
a arms

parts being available is a big plus. the later suspension has upper and lower ball joints. the early has an upper joint but has a lower king pin or swivel pin as rootes called it. the fulcrum pins and bushings on the early are more complex than the later. go to the sunbeam specialties catalog and look at the exploded view of the two suspensions. quite a difference.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Why is the later suspension better than the earlier one? I appreciate the advice

The early series is more expensive and complex to rebuild, it requires greasing on a regular schedule and is more difficult to rebuild when you need to press out the pins.

On the upside, it is solid bushed so in theory offers sharper steering, if greased they last very well, and you can always make the pins if we run out of spares. A well kept or well rebuilt early front end will last and offer good service.