• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clutch Release Bearing

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
I received this advice today.

"The best (and only) way is to soak the carbon bearing in light oil for a week or 2 before fitting.
Never fit a dry carbon ring"

Any comments?

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Not saying much, but that's a new one for me. There was lots of carbon dust in the center of the flywheel when I got mine apart. I hope more folks contribute their opinions, interesting concept.
Tom j

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've never heard that one. To me, that's like saying you have to dip your #2 pencil in oil so it will glide over paper while in use.

The carbon is graphite and should not require any oil. In fact, I would worry that if soaked in oil, the oil would cause an issue for any binding agent used in the forming of the carbon puck.

Almost sounds like someone thought that because bronze bearings like the pilot shaft bushing do need to be soaked in oil, that it would be a good idea.

Just a thought,

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nope, that's not a 'thing'. The carbon bush doesn't need oiling, and indeed you may harm it.

This advice may perhaps have been confused with the crankshaft/first motion shaft sintered bronze bush, which is usually replaced whenever installing a new clutch. The bronze bush DOES INDEED need soaking in oil for a time. I usually heat up some oil to a pretty warm temperature with the bush immersed in the oil, then let it all cool down overnight... this allows the bush to soak up more oil than simply soaking it overnight.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Alpine Addict, we used to soak phosphor bronze bushes in oil for things like swinging arms on motorcycles but I've never heard of soaking carbon bearings before, I cant see what advantage it would give.
Tim R