• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clock for an Alpine

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
POST a request in the WANTES Setion and I bet you will get a few offers.

Volvo guys is knowledgeable on the clocks

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for the plug, Dan.

Clocks were options and few cars had them. So, the cost of a factory 'correct' clock varies widely depending on what Series as well as condition. I currently have 'correct' Smiths clocks for all Series Alpines as well as some period not-so-correct.

All clocks come with a guarantee: they do not work.

Mark ..... volvoguys

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mark's correct and I've never seen an original clock in working condition. I have a clock in my Alpine
that works, but it's not stock. It looks stock but has an electronic ( for the lack of a better term) movement
that I hooked up to a power source in my wiring and it keeps perfect time. I've seen these on Ebay and I
do believe they are sold on Jaguar sites. I got mine years ago from a guy parting a car. I'll try and post a picture
later today.
Cheers!
Steve

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
This is my clock. While not correct for the car, it is a Smiths, is period correct and matches my interior perfectly.
I did have to paint the hands, as they were white. Like the others mentioned, mine does not work, so the hands are set to ‘tea time’.

My car isn’t destined for the the concourse, so I try to keep it period correct for the most part but in the end just do the things to it that make me happy.
It makes the car more enjoyable for me with that mindset.
Having said that, I did ‘chase the unicorn’ for a long time, trying to find the correct clock at a price I was comfortable with paying.

6AF37832-11D5-45B3-A70B-86A27CE0DA3A.png

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
‘tea time’.

Tod, Your tea time brought back some very enjoyable memories of my USAF Deployment to ChristChurch New Zealand back in 1963.

A Kiwi family I met (Miller) took me in like a long lost son, fabulous fishing and hunting expeditions, with time outs to "Boil the Billie", a spot of tea over a camp fire. Memories are made of this:)

Beautiful Dash and interior too!

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
Tod, Your tea time brought back some very enjoyable memories of my USAF Deployment to ChristChurch New Zealand back in 1963.

A Kiwi family I met (Miller) took me in like a long lost son, fabulous fishing and hunting expeditions, with time outs to "Boil the Billie", a spot of tea over a camp fire. Memories are made of this:)

Beautiful Dash and interior too!

Thanks for the compliment.

That’s a great story and obviously for you, great memories.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
This company in the UK strip out the old tired internals and rebuild the clock with a digital mechanism and an externally mounted battery. It looks identical to the original but stays 100% in time and each battery lasts for around 3 years. The other plus is that there is zero drain on the main car battery which is useful if you put your car away for long periods. This is the one in my car (it is not actually an original Alpine one but is very similar).
http://www.jdo1.com/contact_details.htmlIMG_2840.jpeg
Tim R