• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

clicking brake pads

napa 1

Donation Time
Hi all. Hope all is well with everyone.
I have brake pads on my Harrington that clickety clack when driving and can be moved by hand within the caliper. (Front end on the Harrington was upgraded to a series V, with Tiger springs) First question: is there a difference between early series and series V brake calipers and pads etc. I know on my series I the pads were held in by the pins and then a clip, but this doesn't seem to be so on series V brakes. I'm wondering if I may have installed series II pads and need series V pads that don't need the clip to hold them steady? Is there a difference?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks/

John.

Jim E

Donation Time
There is a difference in early and late calipers and they take different pads and are held in by pins. I always used 84 Saab turbo pads in SV calipers they are usually a bit of a tight fit in the caliper and you may have to grind the metal of the pad to get them to slide in. I have over ground them and had just the issue you have they are sloppy in the caliper and click usually you notice this a low speeds. The Saab pads are pretty cheap and I always bought the cheapest semi metallic the parts house listed, my thought being the pads would be softer and wear out instead of eating up the rotors. You might also try chamfering the leading edge of you current pads, the pad material itself not the steel and see if it helps or try swapping the pads to the other side of the car.

napa 1

Donation Time
Thanks for the help. I've ordered a set of series V pads, just to see see the difference and see if maybe I put early series pads in by mistake. I'll try that and see if it solves my problem...and then move on to plan B if not.

napa 1

Donation Time
series V I believe. Series V pads are on the way, so we'll see if that fixes my problem....

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
A note, you can also use datsun 240,260,280 Z pads as well as Mercury capri 1976 and a few others as well, I can not remember all the applications I have I would have to check my notes. I used EBC Green pads for a 240Z.:cool: