• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cleaning gas tanks formula

Wayne67vert

Donation Time
I found the formula to clean the tanks and pipes on my Alpine.
After removing them, this is what I did.
I bought 3, 2 1/2 gallon jugs of concentrated 'Purple Power'. I used this full strength. I soaked the tanks for 24 hours and it removed all the paint. I flushed them with my pressure washer.
I bought 'The Works' toilet bowl cleaner at the dollar store. I diluted 10/1 and soaked the tanks another 24 hours. It removed all the rust. I flushed with my pressure washer.
I coated inside and outside with metal primer from Home Depot. This is a phosphoric acid product. I did not rinse this off. I wiped the outside dry with paper towel and used the exhaust from my shop vacuum to dry the inside.
My tanks are perfectly clean and ready to be coated. I am going to use Master Series Silver for the coating.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
That sounds like a much safer way to do it than what I did: paint remover followed by muriatic acid. (Plus a few other failed methods along the way.) Thanks for sharing your formula.

65beam

Donation Time
My invoice at American Metal Cleaning was $75.00 which included being cleaned by dipping and then coated inside.

65beam

Donation Time
Jim,
This is typical of the cost to have work done. They dipped the oil pan, the two braces to the bell housing, timing chain cover and the lifter side cover and powder coated these items for a total of $85.00. Another time they did the same process to the fan blade, two early oil filter canisters and the inspection plate for the bell housing for $80.00. This is the route I've gone on a lot of other parts while restoring the last four Beams.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
That's really great if it your friends at American Metal cleaning have locations local to customers.
I'm looking at shipping of items I need or have bought or been given in the bay area, which reminds me of a saying, " there is no such thing as a free car.";)

Nice formula Wayne.. keep up the good work and sharing.

65beam

Donation Time
That's really great if it your friends at American Metal cleaning have locations local to customers.
I'm looking at shipping of items I need or have bought or been given in the bay area, which reminds me of a saying, " there is no such thing as a free car.";)

Nice formula Wayne.. keep up the good work and sharing.
Warren,
I'm not in California so life is different. Postage is also cheap if you want work done by them. I can give you the address. The niece that now lives in the bay area was home this last week and we had this discussion on Saturday. Regulations, rules and everything else seems to have a different view point on the left coast. Cost of everything is so different. You also need to keep in mind that I use other shops in various parts of the east and I could show you invoices that would receive the same comment from you. The quality of their work is excellent. Those are the facts. Oh, there are free cars. I had an owner give me a complete series 1 Alpine and I'll soon be moving the parts to one of my storage garages.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Free cars cost towing time and money, it's an amusing saying.
Why does everything have to be a bash Cali. I get enough on talk radio. I got a set of Pannasports with tires , I wanted to use them for rollers... they were free.
Shipping home was $250....

I'm trying to balance better and more efficient sub contracting out my repair chores. I salute our original poster that's what can make America V-8 again....
* Not political speech I won't be offended if edited or sent to chit chat ;)