• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cigar or Cigarette Lighter

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I just notice on an XKE that it labels the lighter as "Cigar." I'm seem to recall that's what the Alpine one was called. Yet I always called them cigarette lighters growing up. Is that an England/US thing? Or were cigars considered fancier or more masculine at the time?

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
They could have been made much smaller if all they needed to do was light a cigarette. :)

Mike

upload_2021-12-4_16-56-20.png

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Of course, the Sunbeam cigar lighter is now both rare and horribly expensive, partly because it is also used in the Tiger and Jaguar XKE. As such, some of you may recall that I created plans and CAD files for folks to make their own lighter knob and escutcheon - these can be adapted to a modern (read: inexpensive) lighter to make a reasonably good reproduction. The knob can be easily 3D printed and the escutcheon can be turned in stainless and polished to look like chrome (or even 3D printed in plastic and sprayed with chrome paint).

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Of course, the Sunbeam cigar lighter is now both rare and horribly expensive, partly because it is also used in the Tiger and Jaguar XKE.
And all mk2 , mkX and S type jags... And lamborghini miura and early fiat 850

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Ok sorry for the topic drift.
Who can scan parts?
Totally awesome the drawings that are posted.
Also seen the knob on 70 to 73 Jensen cars the roadster and the Interceptor.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ok sorry for the topic drift.
Who can scan parts?
Totally awesome the drawings that are posted.
Also seen the knob on 70 to 73 Jensen cars the roadster and the Interceptor.

I didn't scan the parts, Warren... I measured them with a set of calipers and then created accurately measured CAD drawing of the items.

As for the comment on the drawings - thanks!

Collimator62

Gold Level Sponsor
Of course, the Sunbeam cigar lighter is now both rare and horribly expensive, partly because it is also used in the Tiger and Jaguar XKE. As such, some of you may recall that I created plans and CAD files for folks to make their own lighter knob and escutcheon - these can be adapted to a modern (read: inexpensive) lighter to make a reasonably good reproduction. The knob can be easily 3D printed and the escutcheon can be turned in stainless and polished to look like chrome (or even 3D printed in plastic and sprayed with chrome paint).
Hey Kevin- do you have the STLs or OBJs for these? I'd like to 3D print them using Shapeways and report back how they come out. Otherwise, I'll make the 3D objects from your ref drawings (they are really great, btw) and upload them here if that's alright / 3D print them anyways.

Thanks for making the drawings!

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hey Kevin- do you have the STLs or OBJs for these? I'd like to 3D print them using Shapeways and report back how they come out. Otherwise, I'll make the 3D objects from your ref drawings (they are really great, btw) and upload them here if that's alright / 3D print them anyways.

Thanks for making the drawings!
Yes, I have all the files.

Obviously I can't prevent others making money off what I do for the club, but I do kindly ask that the items I CAD not be used for personal gain.

I design and CAD these items expressly for the SAOCA members. As such, I'm happy with:
- folks making them for themselves or to give to club members
- folks making and distributing them to club members 'at cost'... i.e. recovery of manufacturing costs only
- folks making them to sell to members and others, but with all profits going to the SAOCA exclusively

If you're willing to agree to that, then I'm quite happy to send them along.

Collimator62

Gold Level Sponsor
Yes, I have all the files.

Obviously I can't prevent others making money off what I do for the club, but I do kindly ask that the items I CAD not be used for personal gain.

I design and CAD these items expressly for the SAOCA members. As such, I'm happy with:
- folks making them for themselves or to give to club members
- folks making and distributing them to club members 'at cost'... i.e. recovery of manufacturing costs only
- folks making them to sell to members and others, but with all profits going to the SAOCA exclusively

If you're willing to agree to that, then I'm quite happy to send them along.
Hey Kevin,

Yeah! I wasn't even thinking of that - I am in the process of printing (for myself) the 3D scans of the door finishers from mhartman.net for my own Alpine II - but it may be a good idea to have a Shapeways shop (only charging for material cost, no fee on top) for others that are less CAD / internet minded. I'd be happy to give you / whomever in the SAOCA access to the shop just to keep me honest.

I was going to do some CADing of my own for some SII parts and 3D print them but sharing keeps groups like this alive, I think. If that's a sufficient yes answer, let me know.

- Thomas

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hey Kevin,

Yeah! I wasn't even thinking of that - I am in the process of printing (for myself) the 3D scans of the door finishers from mhartman.net for my own Alpine II - but it may be a good idea to have a Shapeways shop (only charging for material cost, no fee on top) for others that are less CAD / internet minded. I'd be happy to give you / whomever in the SAOCA access to the shop just to keep me honest.

I was going to do some CADing of my own for some SII parts and 3D print them but sharing keeps groups like this alive, I think. If that's a sufficient yes answer, let me know.

- Thomas
Excellent. PM me and I'll make the files available to you.

Cheers.