• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Churchill tools

skywords

Donation Time
I purchased a lot of Churchill/Rootes tools. The tool man I bought them from thinks they may be for Imp. I bought them in hopes some might be useful for Alpines. I am waiting for there arrival. I will post some pictures and numbers if anyone is interested.

Rick

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I always keep my eye out for Churchhill tools on Ebay. Usually, they are in the UK which makes it expensive to get to the states.

I'd be curious what is there...

I always wanted the front cover alignment tool... not that you couldn't make one but I never have bothered. I always thought I would find a churchill tool.

Steve

Jim E

Donation Time
The alignment tool would be nice and the tool to torque the head with out removing the rockers would be good also.

I use one layer of black tape on the balancer to align the cover.

S

Steve Kirk

I think I have one of the alignment tools. I have never used it.

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
What would the head torque tool look like ? That one sounds very helpful.
Tom J

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Here you go. I made my own, by heating and bending a wrench, but it didn't hold up to the 50lbs of torque. I need to try again with a sturdier one.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim, before making a new one, try heating this one to cherry red and quenching in oil. "Making" a wrench by heating is going to kill the temper, the best you can do is try to re-establish some of the original temper. Most likely the wrenches are made of oil hardening steel. Quenching in oil will harden it, perhaps to the point it will break instead of bending. With any luck it will not break until the 50 ft/lbs is exceeded. If that's not the case, the second version of the wrench would have to be quenched to harden, then drawn to temper.

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks, Bill. I knew there was something like that that needed to be done, but not exactly what that was. I'll give it a try.

Plain old motor oil? Is used ok? I've got lots of that around the garage.

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
aviation cylinder base wrench looks like it would work also, anyone have experience with these(on Alpines) ? wagaero.com has heavy duty 5/8.
comments / ideas? or am I just lazy thinking of a way not to remove the rocker arm asm a few times?

Tom J

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim, I'm sure the industry has a special oil for quenching, propably several for different cooling rates. But as this is a seat of your pants operation, anything, including used motor or transmission oil will work. Would stay away from gear or synthetic oil.

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks. I'll give it a try and report back. May be a while though, as I lashed the valves at the end of last season and haven't driven much since.

skywords

Donation Time
Jim
Heat the wrench to a cherry red then quench in the motor oil. You might want to draw it back after the heat treat by heating it to a straw color and air cool. I found this to work with O1 tool steel. I built many manufacturing tools and dies for Systron Donner. I loved working there in my younger years they had 150 single gals working manufacturing but that's another story.

The churchill tools are being shipped this weekend. I will post numbers