• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Choice of MIG welder

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have done some limited welding in the past, and have a 30 year old Mig welder. I'd like to get a newer welder, mainly to do sheet metal restoration. Any suggestions as to what to buy? Probably would not do much more than sheet metal. I do have an oxy/acetyene set up. Was leaning toward something like the Eastwood 140 amp; can set my garage up for 110 or 220. Miller looks great but quite high $. Would love to learn TIG some day, but my skill level is not there. Perhaps in the future. Suspect the combination welders leave something to be desired in one or the other formats. Thanks for any suggestions/experiences, David

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Take a look at the Hobart Handler flux / MIG welders. Hobart and Miller are owned by the same parent company (ITW) and share a lot of parts. Miller is the Cadillac and Hobart is the Chevrolet.

I have a Handler 210 MVP, but a 125-140 Amp MIG welder is plenty for anything you would ever need to do with a Series Alpine unibody.

Unless you are an accomplished welder, do yourself a favor and get a good auto-darkening welding helmet. It will make you a better welder. If you wear glasses, get one with a big lens.

PM me if you want to go into more detail.

Last edited:

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Look at a Millermatic 211, that's what I use and love it. It's 120v or 220v and can do anything you need. I also have a Millermatic 35 that is over 30 years old and works great, my 211 is over 10 years old and has never had a problem. Spend the money one time, and buy the Cadillac.
DSCN2555-XL.jpg

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a Hobart 140 handler. It has quite a few Miller parts on it, but I've been using it for over
10 years and it hasn't let me down yet! The Miller is a nicer welder, but it all depends on how
much you'll use it and what you're welding. It's a decent welder.