• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Cheep

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor

Hi Warren:
Lot's of jury rigging on this car. Here is the rest of the story:

1965 Sunbeam Alpine Series IV Project car! This Alpine was originally built as a 4 cylinder with an automatic transmission. I decided to play Carroll Shelby crew and do a conversion with a 1965 Mustang 289 V8 and C3 automatic transmission. The donor engine was in a Mustang that had not been started since 1992. With some good gas and oil, the engine started. I prepared the install on the Alpine by cutting the firewall and transmission tunnel using Internet search pictures and measurements from the engine and trans. I rebuilt the crossmember and installed an MG Midget steering by following Alpine to V8 web posts and Tiger books. I installed the engine and auto trans together with a fabricated driveshaft figuring the the Alpine auto to 289 auto would be the easiest approach. I installed an aluminum radiator and electric fans, fabricated motor and trans mounts, and got a running Alpine V8.

But the auto trans was rather dull and boring, so I decided to convert to ta 4 speed. I had already purchased a Ford Top Loader 4 Speed transmission that came out of a Tiger from a friend, and I found a Tiger rear end with leaf springs to swap out the Alpine rear. Because the 289 is a 6 bolt and the most common Top Loader bell housings for this type transmission were for 5 bolt, I purchased a 6 bolt housing and built up the Top Loader trans bolt pattern with aluminum stock. Unfortunately, one bolt did not line up, so it has a washer and shim secured from the wider existing bell housing bolt. The pressure plate is used and the clutch is new. I fabricated the shift linkage from new linkages, and I refit the shifter component from one I picked up on eBay with a shift lever from eBay. The shift lever the longer curved style from a Mustang (?) and is not the Tiger short straight style. I installed a clutch master cylinder and clutch pedal, had a new driveshaft fabricated, and WOW!!! WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I had a Tiger years ago and this has all the guts that I remember from those days.

This is a PROJECT CAR, or a RAT ROD if you prefer. It is not a completed project. I have some areas that are cut and not rebuilt welded, such as the notches in the frame for the exhaust and one of the pop out support over the wheel well in the engine compartment. The steering is rigid and the tires scrub when making turns at low speed. I installed a dual reservoir master cylinder for the brakes. The transmission tunnel is sheet metal fabricated and has some areas that are sealed in part with silicon and other areas are taped. I am in the middle of this project, so it isn’t that I intended this as the finished product, but I have too many projects and want to pass this one on. This could be a great Alpine V8 conversion, or a bunch of great parts if you have a Tiger that needs some original parts (body, trans, rear). The mileage is what is on the odometer, I do not know if it has been turned over 100k, and I don’t how many miles are on the engine, trans, or rear.

The 1965 Alpines and Tigers are highly desirable because they have the low tail fins and the rounded door, trunk and hood corners. If you know these cars, you know what I am referencing. The body looks good from 30 feet with decent paint, but the car has been hit from the rear and has some rust (both areas shown in the photos). I bought the car a few years ago, so I do not know its history, but the prior body damage is evident from the trunk. It has Panasport wheels that really help the appearance, but it has flat track race tires with almost no tread and lots of cracks, so it needs new tires. The seats are done in leather and the center console is not bolted in because of the shifter. I installed an electric fuel pump and DID NOT put it where the Tiger has the fuel pump over the muffler. Instead, the fuel pump is in the trunk spare tire well. I moved the emergency brake to the center console, so you do not have to climb over the brake handle to get in or out of the driver’s seat which is something Sunbeam and Shelby should have done originally.

Most importantly for prospective buyers, remember this is a project car that is not complete in many ways. Do not expect anything near a finished car. The frame should be cut near the engine mounts to make for more room in the manner Shelby’s guys (and later the Jensen company) flattened these areas with heat and hammers. Buy this car for parts or to finish, but not for a driver. Although it starts and drives, I have not had it over about 55 mph and have not driven more than a few miles for each outing. I think it is priced way below its value as a starting price, but it is time for it to go. So, you be the judge and bid (or not) accordingly. It is a VERY NICE LOOKING SUNBEAM! And also, please don’t jerk around with bids if you don’t intend to buy. The last listing I had, the buyer totally flaked on me. Don’t be that person.

The Alpine is being sold as is, where is. I will coordinate for a shipping pick up, but otherwise, shipping is the buyer’s responsibility. Payment to be in full before release of the vehicle and the title. I have to trust people when I buy cars on line, you will have to do the same here. Message with questions through eBay, and I will do my best to answer. Thanks for viewing the listing.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Well looks like the ad has been deleted and that most awesome means it's been sold. Looked like a decent body and interior.