• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

cheap posi source

jmthehermit

Donation Time
I've known about this vehicle for at least four years. The vehicle is in a private yard that's getting crushed, so I got my butt in gear today.:rolleyes: It's an old mail truck or Delivery Jeep. Actual model # is a DJ5D as printed on the ID tag on the firewall. These were manufactured with a variety of parts from varied suppliers. This one has an AMC straight six, torqueflite three speed automatic transmission and a Dana 44 rear. It's also a limited slip, and according to the tags affixed to the cover has a 43 tooth ring gear and a 14 tooth pinion gear which works out to a 3:07 ratio. Perfect for one of my Tiger rear ends. So by next Friday the rear will be cut off the Jeep and ready for pickup for less than the price of 3 cases of Coors! My next adventure will be to an old Studebaker dealership and the junked cars behind it. Yes, Studebaker also used the Dana 44's in their cars and limited slip diffs were options and also standard equipment on some models. Good hunting, Jeff http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2036520690100474824nYKdTA?vhost=rides

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've known about this vehicle for at least four years. The vehicle is in a private yard that's getting crushed, so I got my butt in gear today.:rolleyes: It's an old mail truck or Delivery Jeep. Actual model # is a DJ5D as printed on the ID tag on the firewall. These were manufactured with a variety of parts from varied suppliers. This one has an AMC straight six, torqueflite three speed automatic transmission and a Dana 44 rear. It's also a limited slip, and according to the tags affixed to the cover has a 43 tooth ring gear and a 14 tooth pinion gear which works out to a 3:07 ratio. Perfect for one of my Tiger rear ends. So by next Friday the rear will be cut off the Jeep and ready for pickup for less than the price of 3 cases of Coors! My next adventure will be to an old Studebaker dealership and the junked cars behind it. Yes, Studebaker also used the Dana 44's in their cars and limited slip diffs were options and also standard equipment on some models. Good hunting, Jeff http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2036520690100474824nYKdTA?vhost=rides

Jeff,

Are you going to use the D44 for parts or the entire axle assembly? I believe the flange to flange measurement is 49 inches which is less that the stock axle.

batch246Large.jpg

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Hi Don, the DJ rear is only for parts. I have a couple of spare Tiger rears, but they're all open type. I'm going to equip all of them with limited slip diffs but different ratios. Jeff

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi Don, the DJ rear is only for parts. I have a couple of spare Tiger rears, but they're all open type. I'm going to equip all of them with limited slip diffs but different ratios. Jeff

You'll have to grab some spare tiger speedos and calibrate them for each.. :D

jmthehermit

Donation Time
The postal jeeps were first made in 1955 as the DJ-3, DJ-5 and 6 from 1965 thru 1973 and DJ5A thru DJ5M from 1974 to 1984. After 1984 they started to use Chevy S10 mechanicals. Also understand that in some parts of the US these vehicles did not require the limited slip differentials so look for the tags on the rear cover bolts. Since none of them were equipped with V8's it was wear on the engines and transmissions and rust that led to their winding up in junk yards.